Is that a fruit?

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

My Lady Margaret is "fruiting"!!! It has 3 so far.... I'm so excited I started doing a happy dance in the back yard!! Then just had to grab the camera!!!
Sharon

Thumbnail by MySharona

Another pic....

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i hate to say this but i dont think it is my Lady Margret is flowering now to ive never seen one make fruit i think its the flower closeing up

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

My Lady M. has set fruit but they have always been hollow. Good luck with yours. Maybe you will be lucky and get a few seeds.
Patsy

I'm hoping it does. I'll keep you posted on the progress!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

mine

Thumbnail by phicks

Phicks - How big is your LM? Mine is huge...AuntB said she's making a spectacle of herself!!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

notthat big yet but if yours is makeing fruit you need to hand pollentae the flowers for seeds

How do I do that?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Collect the pollen on a swap it will be yellow then rub it on a diff flower on your passion flower vine

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

This will Expalain it and theres pictures to http://www.gardenersnet.com/atoz/pollen.htm

Thumbnail by phicks

Thank you! I've been trying to figure that out for quite a while!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Well ? was it Fruit?

I do believe it is!!!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

another

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Yup that sure is hope you get seeds

Me too! I'll keep posting as it grows.

Okay - I just found another fruit!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Lady M still growing strong!

Thumbnail by MySharona

In spite of my continuous efforts to hand pollinate Lady Margaret, she continues to produce hollow fruit or fruit with one or two viable seeds. Even if the fruit falls off, make sure you open it to make sure it really is hollow. One or two crossed seeds is a real coup! :-)

Thumbnail by
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

gordo, have you been able to get any of those few viable seeds to germinate? I was under the impression that Lady Margaret simply does not set viable seed, so any evidence to the contrary is very exciting. As 'common' as LM is, there is no debate that the flowers are stunning. Any crosses with it as a parent would certainly have at least the potential to produce amazing new flowers.

Erick

I'll keep posting on the progress - very excited to find the 3rd fruit. How long does it take for the fruit to ripen or fall off?

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

My Lady Margret does not make any pollen so ive been crosseing it with P. Alto and a unknown red

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.