Tiny greenhouse - lighting question

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I spent a good deal of looking through this forum yesterday, but didn't find an answer to my question. I recently received a small greenhouse (a mini version of the one several people have from Big Lots), and am using it to keep my seedlings/cuttings in. When the nights here in the Dallas area go below 45, I bring the greenhouse into the living room (which gets west-facing sun) and zip it up to keep my cats away from the plants.

My question is -- do I also need to put a light on the plants? Right now I have a small lamp on the upper shelf with a SunGlo light (designed for reptiles) to give them a bit more rays. I leave the light on during the evening. But is this necessary? What should I absolutely be doing (or absolutely not doing) to keep my seedlings/cuttings happy during the winter? Besides keeping 5 inquisitive cats away from them.

I'm a newbie at this, please be gentle.

Carla

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's not totally clear from your message whether the greenhouse remains permanently inside the house once the temps get cold, or if you're only bringing it in at night and then taking it back outside during the day? If it's staying inside, you will need lights placed no more than a few inches above the seedlings, otherwise they will get very leggy. If you're keeping it outside during the day and it's in full sun, you may not need extra light, although seedlings do best when they get a significant number of hours of light each day and winter days are generally too short, so turning the light on in the evening for a while is a good idea. Although if the light source is too far from the plants it's not going to really help you.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Right now the greenhouse is going back and forth (because the nights are in the mid-30s and the daytime temps are in the 60s), but very soon it will have to stay in the house all day. But, even outside, the GH is never in full sun, so it likely isn't getting enough direct sunlight.

The light source, as I have it positioned right now, is roughly 8" from the plants.

I realize that my question is amateurish compared to what most people are dealing with, so I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Carla

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would try to move the light a little closer to the plants if you can--usually you want it just a couple inches above the seedlings or else they won't get strong enough light. Before you do that though...does your Sun Glo light generate a bunch of heat as well as light? I think lights designed for lizards often do and I'm not sure that would be good for the plants, you might try either a grow light designed for plants (pretty much the same as regular non-lizard aquarium lights) or even a regular fluorescent bulb instead. For seedlings especially you may be better off just leaving the greenhouse inside from now on--that way you can make sure the seedlings get the number of hours of light that they need--if they're not in full sun outside even if you turn the light on for a few hours in the evening that may not make them happy. Cuttings on the other hand may be better off in a slightly darker location until they're rooted.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't think it is a amateurish question at all Carla. Lighting, and the question of how much is always a good thing to think about. I think you were smart to ask it instead of just wondering and not finding out. Growing plants is one of the coolest things to do, and info is always a good thing.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, this information has been very helpful. I will leave the GH inside and change the bulb (yes, it is one that provides heat). With the way I have the lamp situated, I should be able to set the seedlings closer and still give the cuttings enough light (though I'll be careful not to give them too much).

You're right, Tigerlily, growing plants *is* the coolest thing. With the information I've gotten here, hopefully I will be successful at it. Thanks again.

Carla

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Carla, although I grow cuttings in a grhouse, I put them in full light and I haven't noticed any problems, and I get a pretty high percentage of whatever it is that i am rooting to root, so don't worry too much about the light. I would be more concerned about the cuttings drying out too much from the heat of the lamp though, and you might want to give them a good misting several times a day. Always use very warm water so you keep the soil temps up on the soil. Thats the real key to either germinating seeds or rooting cuttings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.