Wanted: Shade Garden Critics :-)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is my newly established shade garden in the pathway. It is absolut shade under maple trees along the street. Share with me your input what you would do to improve it.

Thank you!!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2006 9:36 AM

Thumbnail by Asunee
Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

It bet your garden will look great!

At my last house I planted under a Norwegian Maple with probably about as much light as gardening in my basement. The plant I was most pleased with was Lamium (beacon silver, I think). It can be tucked into corners and has nice looking foliage.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Asunee, I posted some suggestions on your thread in Perennials http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/666918/

Chicago, IL(Zone 5a)

StPaulPeg: That will be my mission this weekend - Hunting for Lamium for my garden. Thank you.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5a)

Also can creeping Phlox live happily in shade area? I am looking for something that creeps around on the rocks.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Asunee, creeping Phlox won't work - it needs full sun. You could try Mazus reptans http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2191/index.html - lavender flowers or the white flowering Mazus reptans 'Alba' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76649/index.html - it would fill in nicely around the rocks in no time. If you're considering Lamium, try Lamium maculatum 'Aureum' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2877/index.html - it really brightens up a shady spot and would complement the gold of Paul's Glory foliage. Pictured here with Geranium 'Terra Franche' - one of my favorite combinations in the spring.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Madison, WI

That is a great combination!

Raleigh, NC

I second the opinion on Lamium--a more beautiful, easily grown plant you won't find. It will take over, but is easily removed if it does. And great choice of colors which really pop in the shade. Don't buy too much--it grows and grows and is easily divided. Also hangs over rock walls nicely.

I have a shade bed of perennials under a large maple too, and one mistake I made was not planting enough items with light or lime green foliage which will show up in fall when the leaves fall. I plan to add some Huecheras with leaves in the lighter hues as they keep their foliage in my zone through the winter and the brighter colors will look nice against all the fallen leaves and soil.

Thornton, IL

yotedog - you might want to try Snow Angel heuchera then. I used it in a hanging basket last year, then put it in the garden in late summer. It gets a pinkish tinge in winter. Here is a picture of the hanging basket, it had a black & white theme, and did great in part-sun.

Asunee - did you know Maggie Daley was named after your mayor's wife?

Thumbnail by PrairieGirlZ5
Raleigh, NC

Thanks, I'll look at that on Plantfiles--looks pretty in your pic!

Thornton, IL

thanks yote - best part about heuchera, it's evergreen! :0)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Asunee, that is going to look nice! What annual do you have in mind?

RCN, that's beautiful!

PrairieGirl, nice basket. I like the Ivy hanging down too.

My big project is a shady bed 82' long and under 2 walnut trees. I'm researching Astilbe to get a June, July and August bloom time going. I am finally going to try Ligularia, Rocket and I don't know what else yet. This bed sort of went down hill when I was working on new ones. I call it my bed of shame.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Asunee,
I like the plants you have chosen so far, I wonder have you considered trying to ad age to your stone border by planting some moss between and on some of the stones? If you do not live in an area where you could collect some moss your self it can be purchased. kt

Chicago, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey runktrun: That is such a good idea for adding some moss between the rock. Thank you.

Hello billyporter: post some pic of your Bed of Shame!

Update on my shady garden: Right now everything is coming up except those two fancy ferns. I guess it is too early for ferns to come up, isn't it?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Must I?

Picture #1. Looking East

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Looking West. Last picture. I'm planting astilbe and ligularia between the iris and daffodils.

My ferns are just coming up.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Billy, fill that bed with hosta! :)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You have some spots for some smaller Japanese Maples there. Or just one can 'anchor' a bed so you have a center of interest. Other wise sometimes it's just hard to work around, especially in a bed that wide. A red one would be spectacular. You would do well to ask in the Japanese Maple forum which ones would be good for your zone. Zone 5 can be marginal for some of them.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Awww Ticker, See the beds behind the rock garden. Those are HOSTA beds. Where did the hosta come from.......? The Bed of Shame. They got lost in that big bed.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Billy, well you know, there is safety in numbers. You just need more hosta! Then they won't be lost. :) LOL

Diann

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I found a very pretty groung cover called kenworth ivy last fall on clearance it grew over the winter. its very hardy and kinda "ivys" out its very dainty. I guess it flowers also Im not sure but the foliage is very pretty. Another pretty ground cover for the shade is ajuga. Lamium is very beautiful as the replier said above. Also there are foam flowers. Epimediums are beautiful with there heart shaped leaves they also flower in the spring mine a rein blossom now. well good luck keep looking its fun. Ive got mostly shade in my yard Goats beards are beautiful in about June. Ronna

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ticker, I need the huge hostas!! Hmmmm.....

Ronna, I've considered epimediums and foam flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.