Poppies

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

I am going to plant some ornamental poppies. Can't seem to find a thread on it.

Anyone point me to a forum within DG that deals with this?

Thanks
W Jones

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

What sort of questions do you have? I had success with poppies wintersowing them. I know they don't like their roots disturbed too much and that the annual poppies will readily reseed. I guess it depends on what you are asking.

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks beaker_ch

I have twelve varieties of poppy seeds - all papaver.

Last year I sowed them about now (early nov) - I am in zone 7b

I lost them all, but I attributed it to the mutant rabbits in the area. Possibly an early freeze. I dunno. (note: anti bunny 19ga fence up and in place)

I am considering waiting to sow until late Feb, to help insure that I get growth. I could also plan to do half seed today, and half seed in Feb.

Thoughts?

W Jones

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Are these annuals or perennials? You did have some nasty weather last winter, so who knows. You should be able to sow now, but if you're worried they will germinate too soon, you can wait until you're sure you won't have anymore freezing weather. If it's rabbits, join the club. You might try some of the products people have mentioned in various threads. I have some Flanders Field Poppy seed and the instructions say to sow every three weeks for continuous bloom. I believe these are annuals and not perennial.

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

These are re-seeders - annual if you look at it that way. - I have twelve packets, and I don't think any of them are biennial.

I am going to go ahead and wait until Feb and then sow. I have handled the rabbit issue. Danielle (the better half) and I went out and got some kale, pansies, snapdragons, and peonies - so I now have this weekend cut out for me.

I will, however, re-visit this thread when I sow them, and will follow the progression

W J

P.S. I think it was the rabbits, and not the weather. Poppies are pretty darn hardy. - We'll see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.