Mini Greenhouse

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I just bought a small greenhouse on ebay. I've got it set just inside the back double-doors (it gets the early morning-midafternoon sun). I started some seeds in it, and they popped up over the last few days. Is it common for sprouts to be . . . skinny? I can't put the greenhouse outside - I have absolutely no shade anywhere, and the wind can be strong. So, they would either burn or get blown away. Is there anything I can do to have the spouts not be skinny?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Nichole

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sounds like they need more light--if you can't get them real sunlight then you should buy some grow lights and hang them a few inches above the seedlings. If you've got the greenhouse inside and the sunlight has to come through your house windows and then through the greenhouse glass/plastic, it's probably lost too much of its strength by the time it gets to your seedlings. Seedlings need pretty strong light, usually over ~14 hrs a day or so in order to not get leggy like is happening to yours.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree with ecraine3, more light. flourescents an inch or 2 above the seedlings. Sounds like they are stretching for light.

Tom

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I set up a portable lamp w/a plant bulb in it. I'll turn that on for a few hours a day and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

Nichole

Fulton, MO

Another thought is to try a fan, if not now, maybe later when the plants get a little bigger. Movement of plants with a fan can improve the strength of the stem and make plants stockier.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
I set up a portable lamp w/a plant bulb in it. I'll turn that on for a few hours a day and see what happens.

What kind of "plant bulb"? How many watts? What spectrum? How far from the plants is it?

"A few hours a day" could be anywhere from 8-18 hours, depending on the plant and/or it's size. Less than 8 hours is pretty much a waste of energy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.