Mosaic Virus

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Sorry camera is out of action...I am suspecting the early signs of Tomato Mosaic Virus on some of my peppers. Leaves are mottled with pale yellow/green in between the veins. No sign of insect attack and otherwise very healthy looking young plants.

I have heard that this virus can be carried in seeds coming from the Caribbean and South America which is where they came from.

The ones that I suspect have been isolated in the hope that I can contain it until I find out how to deal with it.

Does anybody know if there is a cure for this?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Have you checked the underside of the leaves for spider mites? The symptoms you're describing sound like it could be them too. I know you said there were no signs of insects, but the spider mites are very tiny and hard to see and they're only on the undersides of the leaves so unless you knew to look for them you might miss them. If it is spider mites, I get rid of them by using a strong jet of water on the underside of the leaves to dislodge them, then I mist the plants twice a day for a while because SM's love dry heat and raising the humidity will help keep them under control. There are some insecticidal soaps that will kill them too if you want something stronger. I would also use the hose and mist approach on any plants that were nearby even if they're not showing symptoms yet--if the mites were on one plant they're also on all the ones around it and if you don't get rid of them it's only a matter of time before they spread everywhere!

If it is the mosaic virus, I don't think there is a cure for it, it's probably better to get rid of the plant so that the virus can't spread to others. But I don't really know too much about viruses so don't throw the plant away until someone else comes along and confirms that's the right thing to do!

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Thanks, ecrane, for your response, I can't see any spider mite under the leaves...I have been misting several times a day anyway...I'll keep them apart till I know for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.