Overwintering a JM in a container.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Today a local nursery had a 75% off sale and I could not resist a 5' JM Viridis for $85 in a container. Problem is the planting sight is not prepared and won't be until next spring. I have put the tree in a completely shaded and windless spot (fence and building on all four sides) and buried the pot to ground level. I watered it and it drains well. It is also mulched heavily with shredded oak leaves. I have never overwintered a container plant before. Will this work?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I think you have done everything you can ...the other option would be to bring it in the garage but that big of a plant may be a hassel in spring if the weather gets warm days and freezing nights and you have to move it in and out.... and you have already buried it which is acceptable ...unless you get a really hard cold winter you should be fine ...David

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, David. I was hoping someone had some experience with this. I needed to know if I might be missing something in protecting it. Our garage is heated which would only cause more problems. I would hate to lose it, it was such a bargain.

Mary

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

OH two things water gingerly only maybe once a month in winter...also keep mulch away from trunk you also might want to cage it to keep the critters out and the mulch in I personally would use about 4" of cedar mulch instead of chopped oak leaves ..,.it will give you better protection and is bug resistant but thats just my personal thing also it wont disintergrate and possibly add a differnt ph to your potted soil like chopped oak leaves might over the winnter and if you don't cage will stay in place rather than blow away...David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.