"Carmel" and Tiarella help, please

Southern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I returned a plant to a local nursery in exchange for a Tiarella to grow in pretty deep shade (woodsy area out back). I thought Tiarellas came in two colors, pink and white, had two different leaf shapes, and spread to make good shade ground cover.

The assistant took me back to where the perennials were being stored. There were several very large multi-colored plants that he pointed to. I thought these Tiarella were so pretty I not only picked one for the exchange but bought three more.

Tonight when I put on my glasses to read the label for planting instructions I found out that I had bought "Carmel" Heuchera! Not a problem, I figured, since I now have DG. Well, I've read through much of this forum, and I've also googled, and I just don't know what to do with these plants!

Do they like full sun and a lot of water like the label says? Or not? Or are they like every other %*@# plant I read about (can you tell I'm not a gardener?) that wants that elusive "moist well-drained soil", full sun - some sun- light shade - full shade? Do I cut the leaves off in a few weeks or let them die into a slimey mess?

What on earth is this Heuchera stuff? A thousand different plants? And I'm reading about pedigrees for the stuff... pedigrees!

And while I'm at it... At that same place I bought three sorry looking Tiarellas that are pink (it's too dark to go read the tags which I actually kept) because I figured Tiarellas are Tiarellas, I just want something to spread in the deep shade, and now I'm getting the impression that not all Tiarellas like deep shade? And do I cut its leaves off or let it die to a slimey mess?

I'm beginning to regret manually clearing 5000sq ft of ivy and vinca as my puny contribution to the environment. Tomorrow is recycling pick up, and I'm going to go out tonight and pick bundles of newspapers from the curb to spread a foot deep over all this lovely, rich, woodsy soil in my backyard.

Should I plant these things? Or take them to Goodwill? I hate to see plants die.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh, please plant them. I have Caramel growing in part shade very happily. In this zone they stay lovely all winter... one of the reasons I enjoy them so much. We've just had a couple of nights in the mid-20s and it hasn't fazed them.

Southern, NJ(Zone 6b)

The colors are wonderful. (I thought "Coral Bells" were always very dark leaved plants with little pink flowers.) Are these colors year round or is this Caramel's Fall color change? Do the leaves die back?

I will look for a compromise light shade spot for them since you are having luck in that kind of location. I won't really take them to Goodwill, but reading here, they just seem so finicky and difficult. They seem to need to be moved over and over until the "right spot" is found, or they just up and die. I'm the last person who should be trying to raise a finicky plant.

Do all these cultivars have growing idiosyncracies? Is there any consensus on light/soil/water requirements?

I see I was spelling the plant as the town of Carmel, so I will web search further with the correct spelling.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

notgrnjean, you couldn't have chosen an easier Heuchera to grow! 'Caramel' is from the native H. villosa strain and is a vigorous grower unlike some of the other newer Heucheras - another vigorous member of this family is 'Autumn Bride' http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/657920/. These Heucheras will tolerate a little more sun than most but will still perform in shade. The caramel color is its natural color - all year long, and like most Heucheras is considered evergreen/semi-evergreen, meaning that they retain their foliage over the winter - although by mid winter they tend to look a little scraggly at least there's something to look at in the garden. Another plus for this plant is the villosa species are late bloomers (late summer/early fall). I also like the "fuzzy" texture of the foliage.

Now for your Tiarellas - would be interesting to find out which ones you bought. I tend to prefer the Tiarellas or Heucherellas over the Heucheras. Although there aren't as many color choices in the foliage, they are little blooming machines in the spring, sometimes blooming for as long as 4-6 weeks! Most of the newer Tiarellas available are clump growers, but there are a few that are spreaders. When you have a chance to check your tags, let us know and I'll see if I can steer you in the right direction for planting.

One more word of caution - don't believe everything you read on the tags, re: soil, light conditions, etc. Unfortunately these tags are mass produced and very generic, not taking into consideration the different growing conditions for everyone in the U.S. The tags are great for identifying the plant but gathering information from people who grow the plant in your area is more valuable than what you read on the tags.

Debbie

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

notgrnjean,
Don't despair, Caramel is one of the easier Heuchera cultivars to grow, at least for me in N.J. Frequently Heucheras look better in the cooler weather of spring and fall, but this one puts on a great display all through our hot humid summer and it doesn't seem to be bothered by slugs as some of the others are. The leaf color changes dramatically through the seasons, sometimes it's an acidic ochre or has red new growth or turns rich amber. I grow it in a shady area and in partial sun and it tolerates both well. It does have a nice winter presence so don't cut it back in the fall but wait untill spring to groom out the older dead leaves. Heucheras can heave in the winter so a mulch after the ground freezes. I use pine needles or xmas tree branches. You might also try Palace Purple, a cultivar with deep marroon leaves, this seems to do well for everyone.
The tiarella you are looking for is Tiarella cordifolia, which spreads as a ground cover by stolons, similiar to strawberries. The tiarellas are shade plants. Some of the newer cultivars are very picky about where they want to live and can be short lived perennials. I have Tiarella Wherryi which is clump forming instead of spreading as I have a small garden. This is a lovely moderately easy plant if it likes where you plant it, moist shade seems best for me. You can just see a baby one in flower with the heucheras in the photo.

Your idea of using newspapers and cutting through and planting is how I've done much of my garden but if you have a running ground cover like the tiarella you'll have to open up space in the spring so it can spread.

Debbie,
I was typing when your post came in. It seems we have had similar information.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2006 4:30 AM

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL sempervirens! I love that yellow rose - which one is it? DH gave me a yellow one a couple of years ago for my birthday and I never got it planted and lost it :( Would love to have another.

notgrnjean, hopefully we've given you enough information, but just ask if you need more :)

Debbie

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Debbie,
The rose is Autumn Sunset. It's a climber that has a slight fragrance, blooms twice, and starts out with a coral bud. I am not a rose person because I'm an organic gardener but this one is pretty disease resistant. I did notice a little black spot on it this fall.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Southern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you for the replies. I'm feeling a little less anxious over these Heucheras. I'm still not quite sure where I'll put them because my mindset was for Tiarellas in pretty deep shade. I feel so inadequate about planting things because I really am not a gardener. This is the first time I've tried to really learn about plants/planting because I'd like to do it right... then I get these plants that aren't what I've researched! I'm hoping that what I'm doing this time (for the first time) will go from just surviving (which often hasn't happened for me) to looking appealing.

Your garden is lovely, sempervirens. Although I am a lousy gardener, I have great appreciation for those who artfully make spaces look lovely and not "planted".

The sorry-looking Tiarellas I did get - they are "Running Tapestry", a cordifolia! So I should get the spreading I'm hoping for (?) Most of the leaves are pale pink and droopy which I why I think the are sorry-looking. There are green little leaves sprouting from the center. I thought the pale color was because they had been sitting in direct sunlight at the garden center. Should I just leave those leaves on until I see what they look like in the Spring? They aren't slimey looking or dried up.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2006 12:24 PM

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Running Tapestry sounds like a groundcover for sure. I'd just plant it as is and clean it up in the spring, it will be better to have more protection at the crown for the winter. Thanks for the compliment notgrnjean, the natural look takes alot of moving plants around. When I figured out I wasn't going to hurt the plants by rearranging them often gardening became more fun. Any mistakes are easily fixed.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

notgrnjean, I have 2 Running Tapestry that I planted about 12'' apart this past spring in a very shady spot. These two plants now look like one and have sent out runners in all directions, but not in an invasive style (thank goodness). It has a nice growth rate and the flowers seem to glow in the shade.
Here's a pic of one of them, not long after planting......sorry about the crappy pic but I'm not great with my digi at times ;p

edited to say 12 inches apart and not 12 feet, sheesh!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2006 10:17 PM

Thumbnail by Erynne
Southern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love the picture, Eyrenne! I do hope mine (the ones I called "sorry looking") survive and grow like that. That kind of spreading is what I am hoping for. I didn't realize how nice the flowers could be.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

sempervirens, that combination of Clematis and Rose is beautiful! I'm not much of a rose fan either, however I did receive a couple of them free this spring that really surprised me with their performance - no black spot, nice glossy foliage and bloomed forever. Just got them planted last month so will see how they do next year.

notgrnjean, I was wondering if you might have purchased 'Running Tapestry' - it's one of my favorites, very pretty foliage and a great groundcover - mine has runners that are over 2' long after just one year in the garden! Just plant it and let it do its thing - in the spring you can cut away any dead foliage to clean it up. Don't have any pictures of the flowers, but here's a picture of what your foliage should look like next year.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Southern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, rcn48, the three Tairellas I did get are "Running Tapestry", which pleases me. When I went back I asked for the "Tiarellas" and was taken to the Heucheras which looked to my unlearned eye like great big healthy Tiarellas, only when I put my glasses on at home the label read "Caramel" Heucheras!

I've gotten a few more green leaves on two of the Running Tapestry and hope the third does the same.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.