new caudex

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I just purchased this ipomoea bolusiana in a six inch pot. This will be my first caudiciform plant. What type of potting mix should I use?

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

It will do just fine in a standard fast-draining cactus mix with just a little bit extra pumice, lava rock or perlite.

Are terra cotta pots better at keeping the mix dry?

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Yes, they will let the mix dry out better. Do you find yourself wanting to stroke the bald caudex of your plant? It looks like it needs stroking.

Ha Ha! Will that make it grow better? I think it will be going dormant for the winter so I don't want to "wake it up".

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Won't wake it up, but don't you have the overwhelming urge to rub its bald head? You know, let it know someone still loves it . ;^D
I keep wanting to stroke the bald belly of my adenium.

I have to overcome the urge to water it, so fussing with it is the next best alternative!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beverly, you are sick!!!!! :-)
Laughing....

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Ursula, tell me you never stroked your bald adenium. Or jatropha, I can't help myself, I have to stroke that bald thing on the windowsill!

This message was edited Nov 1, 2006 2:05 PM

Who says "bald" isn't sexy!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

No, I have never done that physically, but I could see why some of these cute fatsos surely should be patted.
Have we mentioned Highlandsucculents previously as source for Pachypodiums and Adeniums?
https://highlandsucculents.safeserver.com/

They sell the cutest squat fat plants, I got 3 of them a couple of years ago as a wonderful present, they are adorable. The Pachypodium horombense was just as wide as high. Highland grows them with very tight "shoes.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

baolvera
yes, it can be.....and fat too?

Well, my husband is on the pudgy side and I like him like that! He hasn't achieved the baldness factor yet!

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Oh post that link to the other thread. Can't order from them until March! They obviously think fat is the way to go for plants!
I think the A. multiflorum they display is gorgeous, fat and all.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well, we follow Japanese Sumo and these guys are certainly no skimps.
Supposedly rubbing their bellies brings you good luck - if one can catch them?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beverly, it's ok , March will be here in no time flat.
In the meanwhile, did you take a closer look at their website. The culture link on the left site is truly excellent!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Oooh very nice! My I ask where you got it? This is another Ipomoea that I've been wanting to get. My DH is bald to....so maybe that's why I'm really into the caudex type plants....lol.
;) Donna

I got this from The Great Petaluma Desert. They are still shipping.
http://www.gpdesert.com/

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Nice, home of the fat plants.
Did anyone see the $300 pachypodium? One pricey plant, that.

This is NOT my plant, but a photo of what it will look like in bloom.
I think someone stroked this plant quite a lot!

This message was edited Nov 1, 2006 2:58 PM

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I love Ipomoea bolusiana! Your plant will look even more marvelous once it blooms next summer! Keep on stroking! HEHEHEHEHEHE

Marilyn

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ohhh, this is pretty!!!! I need one!

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Verrrrrry pretty indeed. Yep, keep on stroking!

Here is a photo of my Ipomoea bolusiana in it's new home with support.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Looks very happy!
:) Donna

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Looks great! I can't wait to see it when it's all leafed out and blooming!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It will be awesome when it is blooming. I can't wait for pictures to.

Marilyn if you ever see this one in your travels that I could afford let me know and I could send you the money.

:) Donna

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

The only places I've seen it is at Great Petaluma Desert (none available now) and Rare Succulents ($40). Highland Succulents should have some once they open up again in the spring. But you never know... Send me a dmail re what do you consider to be within your price range. There's another one I find pretty too - Ipomoea holubii. But it's usually more expensive and harder to find.

I also have Ipomoea holubii but it is only two and a half years old and is still very small. Tiny little caudex!
Beth

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a photo of I. holubii taken at the SFO Cacti and Succulent show/sale earlier this year.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

Here's another shot (note the price tag $150 ) If I recall, that's an 8" pot

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the pictures! That plant was available from a friend of mine - Petra Crist of Rare Succulents. It was for sale at the Northern California Cactus & Succulent Assn. Show & Sale held in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. As far as I know, Petra will also be there next year.

Marilyn

Petra had some amazing plants for sale! Made one drool just to behold them!!
Here are a few more

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

What an interesting table, gorgeous shapes, lots of healthy plants. I would have liked to see this in person, although perhaps my wallet might have complained a bit.

Beverly, where are you? More belly stroking.....

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Marilyn, I guess $40 is the standard for this plant. Does anyone ever sell the seeds?

How do you ever resist all those goodies on the table, begoniacrazii??

Well with $400 price tags it wasn't too hard to just 'look not touch' LOL. The were really magnificent! See that big huge Cyphostemma juttae (the largest one on the left) it was $400
I did come home from the sale with a box full of sanseverias and succulents (as well as the odd philodendron and begonia!! yea)

I mainly went to the show just to look. Cant wait until the show next year!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

OK, Donna, I'll keep an eye out. I don't think I've ever seen seeds for sale. The only way to resist these goodies is to leave your credit card and checkbook at home and only take the cash you want to spend. Yeah, right, that'll work! HEHEHEHEHEHE

The NorCal show/sale is the largest in the area, and some years it's the largest sale in the state. So we get vendors from as far away as Arizona coming to sell. I keep hoping we can talk Miles into coming up sometime.

Marilyn

I wonder how old those holubii plants are. If mine is almost three years old, and tiny, it must take a long time to develop a caudex like that! If you think of the time involved, the prices really aren't that bad.
Beth

True enough Beth. I dont think the prices were out of line, just beyond my own reach! (still waiting to win the lotto!) =º)

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

bao - drop Jerry Wright of Great Petaluma Desert a line and ask him. He'll probably know right to the day! LOL

Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.