Looking for a Persian Parrotia that is over 10 years old.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Does anyone have a parrotia that is over 10. Could you post it on this site. Also could you post any fall color that you have for the tree. I want to get one while I'm in Seattle next week and need to see a 10+ year old specimen.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

These are 10+ yrs old Boulevard trees. You might want to pick up Trees of Seattle which was recently revised.

Thumbnail by growin
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

There is decent sized one at our library (I think that is what it is anyways as the leaves have a witchhazel shape to them). I'll try and post a pic this weekend if that isn't too late. It was just starting to get some color last week and my 3-4ft Vanessa is just starting to change also.

Bill

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Sosodigs:

I found a youngster at Cave Hill Cemetery here in Louisville. Here's some images.

Form.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Bark.

Foliage.

But then I thought:

"Steve wants inspiration, not just a tree. What would that take?"

And I found this modest unassuming individual that you might like.

Form.

Up inside.

More foliage.

Yet more foliage.

Did I mention bark/trunk?

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't think I need to go to the library anymore.

Bill

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Visual Voyager you have totally excited me for a long term picture of my soon to aquire Parrotia. Why don't we in early youth have a desire to plant trees and stay where we grow up so we can partake of the joy of our planned cathedral of trees. I shall plant this winter and project my visions looking down on the future majestic ironwood. Thank you for the pictures! Steve
I think I can survive this here in Zone 4b (global warming zone 5b)

This message was edited Oct 31, 2006 8:20 PM

The second Parrotia is a resident of the grounds of Atherton High School in Louisville. I believe it got there (along with the rest of the amazing collection of plants on the property) the following way:

A Catholic nun, Mabel Slack, was a teacher in Louisville, and decided she wanted to earn a master's degree. She attended Cornell University to do just that, and did her thesis on The Flora of Cherokee Park in Louisville, of which I have a copy. Completed in 1941, this gave those of us who now practice there a snapshot of the plant community in this park from the middle of the last century, an fabulous nugget when one is interested in restoration work.

Mabel went on with her teaching career at Atherton High School. I believe she was responsible for the wonderfully diverse plantings around their campus, including this venerable Persian parrotia which looks every bit of 60+ years old.

Creating these public opportunities for children of all ages to experience and appreciate plants ought to be high on everyone's list of gardening goals.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This kind of reminds me of all the great Catholic clergy horticulturists that pop up from time to time ingardening literature. I think I'll start a thread about that, rather than hijack this one, because I think it's an interesting topic.

Scott

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

As the thread starter I got what I needed so lets talk about Catholic Horticulturists. I don't know any.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

You could start with Gregor Mendel

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Hope you do better than me, MontanaMan. I tried a species parrotia and a cv. Select. The species made it through one winter-barely, and Select lived for about 4 years. Both were under 1.5 feet. But that was back when we had real winters. Maybe now . . . .

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

My experience is the same as Leftwood's; I planted Parrotia 'Vanessa' and the tree didn't survive its first winter. Of course, the "tree" was only a foot tall or so. Parrotia is a beautiful tree and I would love to have one in my landscape, but it's just too iffy to try another one. Maybe if I started with a larger plant, but I would hate to just throw money away like that. I planted the Parrotia 'Vanessa' in the early 2000's, so I'm not sure if there's been enough global warming to successfully grow this tree in MN, yet.
Mike

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well we do have -20F but rarely. The specimen I am buying is over 2" diameter and about 6' high. It is only 38 bucks on sale so it is worth a try. I am preparing a location on a slope and protected by several doug fir and ponderosa youngins to the North where the bad winds come from. The soil is a rich mix of clay, compost, and mushroom compost. We shall see. I think (hope) all will be well with the global warming here. We have not had much winter for over 10 years. Oops I just killed the tree. LOL

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Steve~~ I just have to ask....is this a nursery you are going to be getting this tree from, and if so which one?? $38 is a wonderful price for a good, healthy 6ft tree! Maybe I'll see you there..LOL :-)

ViburnumValley, those are great pics, absolutely inspirational!! I sometimes wish trees were just a tad quicker to attain those amazing proportions, but it wouldn't be nearly as amazing to behold such a specimen if it were easily or quickly come by, would it?!

Jamie

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Soferdig, my "youngsters" are a little less mature - planted about 4 yrs ago and can't compare to the beautiful specimens VV has shown you. However, I'll try to get a few pictures for you. We've got the straight species and one purchased as 'Pendula' - NOT! A totally different habit than P. persica but definitely not "weeping".

This message was edited Nov 2, 2006 5:32 AM

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I thought I had planted a Parrotia in past years, but can't find it in my tree list and it is way too dark yet to go outside and try to find it. Yes, Steve where are you buying your tree, and good luck with it.

VV loved your photos.

Donna

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

I have killed a couple here as well. 'Vanessa' is now going on 5 years, and has seen as low as -18F. Nurseries around here refuse to grow it because of hardiness issues. I think provenance is rearing its ugly head again. We need more selections from the colder parts of Persia!

I also have the variegated one, whose name escapes me at the moment. It has survived one winter and grown a wee bit. Small plant.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Boy am I glad that I didn't give the name of the nursery they only had 2 trees last month and I had no room in my car for the Parrotia. Now I'm going to have to sneak back the the secret nursery. I thought it was cheap too. Especially at this unamed nursery. I think they were getting rid of them cause they were too easy to grow in Seattle and you know gardeners. Must have what won't grow in my zone. Now you guys got me worried. Not really, it should do well where I am putting it. After all I would not buy a tree just to kill it. You can see that even when it snows it is still warm here. LOL pJ gardening at night.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

What's that white stuff...and is that a hunter with the deer running behind him? I buy trees to kill them...with the off-chance it might survive. A variegated Parrotia? Sounds nice.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

That is an insane gardener who forgot 2/1 gallon pots until laying down in bed during a snow storm 3 days ago. Yes that creature is the fearful predator of the Montana woodland. Kip the Border Terrier.

Hi Kip! I see you are done driving the new souped-up lawn mower.

Tell your dad that there are some more pictures of the lovely Louisville Parrotia (taken on a sunny day, not a rainy one like last time) on the thread.

And one more for good measure.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Kip is happy you said hi. I am busy putting my snow plow on the Dixie Chopper so I can spin doo dadds in the driveway. Just think a snow plow that can turn on a dime. I am wondering what shape I need to make the blade. Hmmmm. Thanks for the wonderful color.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is the one at our library. Somebody must of had a thing for Hamamelis and their relatives as the next planter over is a witchhazel, then a bunch of Fothergilla. It is very exposed so I am guessing this one at least is fully hardy.

As Kneevin said, fall color on these here is slow. Very slow.

Bill

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Finally got the picture of our Parrotia. Sorry, it was so d....d cold when I grabbed the camera, I didn't get one closer. Viewed from the other side of the pond - P. persica on right - 'Pendula' on left with my shirt hanging on one of the branches - so that's where I left it!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well I found one on my own while working in Seattle. This one is motivating! I want a big one like this.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The deep within of this spectacular specimen at Seattle Arboretum.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sofar,

Just awesome, especially with those ferns. Thanks.

Scott

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Most of the leaves are still attached to my Parrotia. I went out today to take a closer look at the trunk, branches of it and to be truthful I can't see any reason to remove any of the trunks. They are just smooth wood. Actually I have two trees/shrubs that were labeled Parrotia persica, one is the older one, more than 10 years, the other is about 5 years. Look identical to me.

Steve the last one you sent a post of looks like most of the leaves have shed already.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Both photos are of the same tree. Here is another one.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.