Questions on Earthboxes

Buffalo, NY

1) Do any of you NOT use the chemical fertilizer inserts? How do your boxes do? I'm an organicy sort of girl...

2) How are EBs better than other self-watering containers?

I used a self watering container from gardeners.com last year and was NOT happy. The watering mechanism often got clogged with dirt, and some sort of weird mold was living in the entire thing. The tomato plant I had in it died eventually from fungus, much faster than other plants.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm with you on the organic issue and I haven't used any commercial (synthetic)
fertilizers. I can't comment on other self-watering types as the EB's are the only ones I've used. Have had zero problems with watering. I'm rethinking how I'm going to use my boxes this next year. While plant health and production has been robust, something seems a little bit lacking in taste. I've used a good commercial potting mix to fill the boxes and have boosted with homemade compost. But I really think the potting mix just doesn't have enough of the trace minerals that occur in good ol' dirt. I'm going to reposition my six boxes in more or less peremanent spots and remix the soil with up to half compost and boost with worm castings.

One advantage of the EBs is sturdiness. At least the older style I have - can't speak for the current version. Mine are four years old but quite a few gardeners have reported boxes still going strong after twelve or more years. Yuska

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

12 yrs.? Yuska, you might just get me to go with all copyrighted EBs after all, instead of doing the homemade ones!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Yuska --- One of our DGers are going on fifteen years and still going strong. I spoke with him in 2005. As far as a mix is concerned I use Jungle Growth potting mix and never had a problem. Being that you are organic the EB people say to use three cups of organic fertilizer spread in a two inch narrow strip away from the plants. They also say not to mix anything else in the soil although worm castings would not do any harm. KingEd uses Miracle Gro as his potting mix and does great with it. I understand Jungle Growth is not available in most states? Well any quality potting mix will do. The instructions that come with the EB name quite a few good mixes. Don't forget to use two cups of dolomite lime in with your mix.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.