Container plant

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

Has anyone ever done a container with tomatoes inside for the winter months? Is it really doable or a waste of time?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You can do it, mmistyrose, but you'll more'n likely need to augment with extra 'day' light.

The plant will live but it takes quite a bit of light hours to get good fruiting. If you want to give it a try I think you'd be better off trying it with some of the cherry tomato types.

Shoe.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

I figured it would need the extra light if I did it, but it's nice to confirm. I've not done any veggie plants inside in the winter time but thought I'd like to do tomatoes this year....now just need to figure out a place to stick em! lol

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Well please keep us up to date on how it works out!

Shoe.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm giving container gardening a try this winter and plan to use fluorescent lighting situated very close to the plants to supplement the low light levels of winter. Will have two cherry-size tomato plants-- Red Robin & Yellow Canary. Also plan to grow Swiss Chard for a supply of fresh greens as well as some Bok Choy .

LD

Misty, any headway on your indoor tomatoes? There are some unique varieties that are specifically designed for indoor greenhouse and winter growing, requiring less light. I've read about them; might be able to relocate the names of them, if you need the help.

Since you live nearby... The fellow who used to grow tomatoes for sale on a decent scale died a few years ago, and nobody had taken it up. It was next to impossible to find tomatoes for sale in this corner of the county. So last year I took up the torch. I plan about a hundred plants next year. You might have noticed our tomato sign on the road earlier this year, just south of 77th & Greenwich. (a/k/a "Pasture Prime Farm")

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

I've seen "Pature Prime Farm" but don't remember the tomato sign...although since we had tons of our own tomatoes I don't think I woulda been looking for that sign lol....but the farm sign stuck in my head cause I moved from WY and used to work on ranches up there....always looking at signs around here to see what kinda like "home" :-)

As for the winter tomatoes, well, the room I need to put them in is sort of a "storage" area and needed some attention. It's about ready to put a couple of pots in there but haven't decided how big I want to use...or what size I might like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.