any idea what this is ?

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

a friend in Arizona had this sprout from seed a few years ago
does anybody recognize it ?
i thought it might be Acer palmatum atropurpureum ?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/72816/index.html

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Being from seed is would not be a named cultivar as such...certainly not at all like Atropurpurea. Actually, it is quite fantastic!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

dbl post ???

This message was edited Oct 30, 2006 9:57 AM

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Todd
i was hoping you would notice this post - thanks
i just received another email about this plant & am now thinking otherwise
she says she has been able to start some cuttings ?
as pretty as the leaves are i am going to ask for one :-)
but now i wonder if it is an Acer ?
maybe i should put the image in the id forum ?

again thanks
Dick

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Just gorgeous Dick. Are these the fall colors? Ask for 2. LOL

Looks like a maple to me. You do not think it is? Your color is great. The shape is distinctive too, deeply lobed and look at the serration! I love ones with patterned leaves. So much more interesting.

The veining is like this one.

Thumbnail by Kell
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Kell
i agree it looks similar to your image but with nice reds :-) what is your image of ?
i did not know Acer's would root so easy from cuttings ???
& as Todd says
if from seed it may very well be a new un-named cultivar
i think it is drop dead bee-U-tee-full
& would fit right into my collection :-)
JM's do VERY well here

Dick

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Dick - you're not a kidding that JM's do well here and that's beautiful! It will be great to see the form and size. What time of year was the photo taken?

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

hi Doss
i'm not sure when the image was taken but not too long ago, i will check
i meant to send you an email recently but got sidetracked & forgot
in the plant files you have a cpl of images of Crimson Queen that looks much the same as mine in color
i have had mine for maybe 20 years
but the first 2 images in the plant files are of an all green lace leaf
& i was thinking of reporting them as an error ?
i wanted to check with you & maybe Todd first ?

Dick

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I did not mean to suggest it was the same as the one I posted, just was showing a similar neat leaf pattern. Find out how big the leaves are Dick. And spring color. Get a pic of the whole plant. And then plants all around. LOL!

I thought usually these were grafted for propagation but I know nothing. I think it is tougher to root the lace leafed ones.

Mine is the cultivar Peaches and Cream.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If it's green then it's not a Crimson Queen. (As in 'If the glove doesn't fit..... ) By all means report it.
So you're near Crescent City?

Greensboro, NC

That is about the most incredible JM I have ever seen. If it ever gets propagated I would definitely buy one.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

MY guess is a japonican of some sort ...showing one small branch though is not a good way to REALLY show a tree ..showing the whole tree at spring summer and fall as well as parts gives the best visual . It may very well be a phenominal selection but without a complete showing is like showing ONLY the doorway of a house you want to sell ...as a part it may be great as a whole well something else . I have several JM's that have phenominal parts but not as phenominal wholes...thats not to say it's not a "nice" cultivar or seedling..but this one pic does little for me personally in telling how "great " the tree IS as a whole throughout the year or season Daivd

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

David
here is an image of the whole plant
it is about 2 ft high & 2 ft wide

Thumbnail by Strever
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

It is a really nice tree ... If it is a named cultivar you may get an id since it's unsual leaf form unlike most that there are just too many similar ones. I think it is an acer but what type who knows . If it is two by two feet that seems small for all but a young tree of that type..how old is it... and what color is it throughout the season. You may want to post it at the garden web ...there are a few more folks there ...but posting photos is hard.. It may NOT even be an acer but I think it likely is...those are my morning thoughts...

Cuttings can be done with Jm's but most most cultivars do not root easily. I did some plain green ap rootstock ( seed grown) during my grafting last spring and got 3 out of 40 to root and thats a common tree. They look like they will 'take' and slowly go kaput ...its a water rentention illusion ...Vertrees the father of all JM growers and addicts says NOT many cultivars will successfully root and are NOT as healthy and strong as grafted ones if they do . Many wait two years to make sure they are viable.Large nurseries do some rooting but have NOT found a good way to insure success. If your friend has had great success...not illusory...then I would start to doubt that this tree is in fact a JM... David

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I asked an expert friend of mine and he thinks it is a palmatum ( may not be but he thinks likely) probably a selected seedling not grafted cultivar, of Aka shigitatsu sawa . Interestingly enough that was my VERY first thought and I even went out in my back yarsd to see how iot compared to mine!!! but the leaf edges seemed more japonican so I gave up on my initial instincts and went japonican or possibly not a JM....Selected seedlings can vary widely from their mother plant thats why planting seeds is such a crap shoot but if youse gots the time space and want to mess around you can get neat stuff like this one of couse you have to wait sometimes up to 4 years to really know "what' the plant will actually look like...not MY cup of tea!!!..David

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

actually if you have vertees book and look at the photo of Ariadne ( a selected seedling of the AKA) there are some definite similarities so I feel he is right on in his suposition... David

This message was edited Nov 2, 2006 10:50 AM

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

David
i have 2 Vertees book's somewhere
still packed away after my recent move :-)
so i looked Ariadne up on Google images & it sure does look close
http://www.mendocinomaples.com/new_images/products/2ariadne.jpg

thanks
Dick

Greensboro, NC

I agree that if it is a named cultivar it is more likely "Ariadne" than Aka shigitatsu sawa. My aka went wild this fall. Here are some shots

Thumbnail by jhayes5032
Greensboro, NC

a close-up

Thumbnail by jhayes5032
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

FYI Ariadne is a selected seedling of or otherwise came from an AKA according to vertreees...David

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

i finally have an identification of this plant
and you will not believe it :-)
here is a new pict

Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

it is Hibiscus acetosella 'Haight Ashbury'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/161676/
Dick

Thumbnail by Strever
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

The flowers are a dead give-away ...in looking back at what you posted as the "whole" tree... I should have asked for a bit of a farther complete shot ...in retrospect even in that quasi whole tree pic the growth pattern DOES NOT fit a JM but I have a years knowledge under my belt too. The leaf does look JM like but that sort of "full tree photo" doesn't ...I should have looked more closely. David

Walhalla, SC

Is that alternate leaf placement? It is hard to tell but that is always a good indication that it isn't an Acer.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's sure a beautiful hibiscus. Lovely foliage. And you are right. I'm very surprised.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Well heck, get some seeds off that puppy!

Laura

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

i have some seed coming :-)

Gaithersburg, MD(Zone 6b)

Did you ever get that seed?

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

hi John
no i did not get the seed
so i bought a cpl of plants off the web :-)
they are doing fine and i will wait to see if they look as nice as the one in Arizona

Dick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.