The Great Canna Massacre!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Next weekend the canna are coming down! I have bunches of unharvested seeds that will go with them unless someone wants some for postage. Otherwise they will get throw in the compost pile. Speak up if you want some. They are the orchid type canna and the seeds will be F2 generation with the original parent being solid red standard canna type. The pic below are of the plants the seeds will be harvested from.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

hey x, i'd be interested in some of the seeds, i have had good luck so far germinating canna seed...i'm sending you a d'mail. what do you do? cut the cannas back to the stalk? - jon

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes, I cut them back as far as I can without cutting into the rhizome, then start dumping leaf and grass clippings on them.

X

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

I would love to get some seeds and give it a try. I think your red is very striking. Is it hard to grow from seeds? ~~~ Carol

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

X, I'd love to have both rhizones and seeds. That is, however, if you have enough leftafter filling the above requests. Let me know the postage amount and I'll go ahead and sent it out to you.

Deborah

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I would love to have some of your canna seeds. Thanks Pauletta

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

thinks your nuts

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. gee phicks .. it's taken you this long to figure that out?

Anyway, the canna seed offer is closed now .. can't believe the response I got. I might have enough for a few more by the end of the week. Some are still ripening.

So...

gardening101a

caganimalover

Cordeledawg

lilyhostaky

Send a small bubble envelope with at least 52 cents on it. My address is in the address exchange file under Extras.

Canna are easy to grow .. the hard part is putting a hole in the hard coat seed. Phicks will be more than happy to give you personalized detailed instructions on how to do that!

X

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm sorry, X. I thought you were going to "kill" your rhizones there for a minute. Whew! When you said, "without cutting into the rhizone" leads me to believe the compost pile will only be their winter rest, correct? Ok, just the seeds, please. I'm tired, hungry and a little slow.

Thanks,

Deborah

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. they stay in their bed for the winter. I just cut them back and start piling grass clippings and leaves on them for the winter. What goes in the compost pile is what is above ground.

X

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

X,

Oh, Ok. Next question, please. What is cat wrangling?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

If there are any later this wk, think of me, please!
:~)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The cat wrangling was kind of a joke. One of the definitions of wrangling is to herd. Both my kitties are feral, wild born and not people friendly, so it's sort of an ordeal to clip their toenails, brush them or take them to the vet.

Also please when you send your envelopes to me be sure to put your screen name and what I am suppose to be sending to you! I always have bunches of trades going on and it's hard to figure out to whom I am sending what especially if I dont have a screen name or the d-mail title has just the word seeds on it. Perhaps you can imagine what it is like having to open 20 emails with the word seeds on it and try to figure out who and what seeds!

Thanks!

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I have enough seeds for 4 more! Send me a d-mail with Canna Seeds in the title to put yours on reserve. Smockette, yours are already on reserve and not part of the 4 more trades.

X

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you X. I received my seeds but had computer problems and couldn't tell you until now.
Deborah

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Anne, got my seeds yesterday. Thanks so much, can't wait to see growth emerge.
Can the seeds be planted outside or should they be planted inside? ~~~ Carol

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Great! .. either way .. I always start my in little pots.

X

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

X
I am sorry to be so late in thanking you, Thank you...
I use a dremel to get thru the hard coat. Pauletta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.