The LADYBUGS are here!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Just walked out onto my front porch and was greeted by hundreds of lady bugs...all of a sudden...weren't there an hour ago...lol I noticed bugs in the air and thought for a moment they were the little honeybees, and all of a sudden they started landing all around me and you could see them all the way to the tops of the trees in my yard. Wow, I have never seen that many in flight before...didn't realize they migrate....do they..is that what they are doing? Noone here to see it so I thought I would share it with my fellow gardenbugs!

Cordele, GA

In Alabama there was a predator release program that used ladybugs. It was aimed at reducing pesticide use by farmers. Some of my co workers hated it. They had ladybugs everywhere in their houses, cars, you name it. The critters did seem to swarm at certain times. I don't know about migration, or much about the life cycle except to recognize the larva and crysalis when I see them.

Beth

Cordele, GA

Janet, I just googled ladybug migration and what you have is the asian ladybug, also known as the Halloween ladybug because they congregate at this time of the year. They are looking for hibernation sites and are gregarious, signaling others to join them for the winter. Cool, huh?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

not!!!! cool they leave a nasty smell as they die and stain everything. there was several threads last year and the year before about them and they bite.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/554403/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/422665/

Cordele, GA

Sorry, i guess I just have not seen the numbers that you have. I do find it interesting that something with so little neural power can communicate so well through pheromones or whatever.

Beth

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, they were here and then they were gone...so not too much of a mess for us here....I know of others who are just bombarded with them though, and they have the problems described in the other threads...glad we haven't thus far. The grandbabies love to catch them...lol..not been bitten though.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have seen a few in the last few days but hoping that is all.

these things get into everything. my hubbys boss had to buy a new air conditioner because they thought it was a hibernation site and messed it up. i hope i only see a few. i will get bug spray today though.

hope you only see a few too.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't seen any yet this fall but we have had them here in years past. Kinda stinky and yes, they do nip. Insiduous little devils. They can get in anywhere, I don't find them quite as charming as the lady bugs...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

They are not as pretty either...of course there seem to be some of the "REAL" Lady bugs mixed in with the Asian ones. The really pretty little red ones with the spots....the ones with just a few spots that are kinda mustard colored just aren't as pretty to me..lol Aren't the trees GLORIOUS!!!!! I just can't believe the colors we have this fall! Beautiful, God is really putting on a show! Have a BLESSED day everyone!
Janet

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

And...we're blessed with the stinky, biting ones, so we can appreciate the other ones more!

Talked to one of our sales people in South Carolina and she said they are covered up with these critters today too!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, they flew North in a hurry! I only saw a couple today..

As we get them here too, I wonder if they are already here and simply come out looking for hibernation when the weather changes. We are still warm here to haven't been bothered yet.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Janet, I'm glad you started this thread. What an eye-opener. Getting a good bug education learning about these "different" lady bugs. I read this post from the brugsmania forum, "count the dots before you whack" link below...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/666251/

Thomson, GA

Well, we usually get the real ladybugs (pretty red ones) not a lot, but they end up in the light fixtures and on the ceiling. Today I saw one of the Asian ones, actually landed on my arm as I was walking to the car. That was the first one I got to see close up, but blew it away pretty quick, as I didn't want to get bitten!

Guardians ~ I don't think they sting as such. It is almost a pinch and usually only when they get squeezed ( I think that is a word? ) The one that nipped me was folded in the crease of the elbow when I bent it. Not to worry and I don't think they would be too serious for people who are allergic to stings.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I spoke too soon, they were back in big numbers today..couldn't sit on the porch without them landing all over me in my hair etc...saw the "good", the "bad" and the "ugly" LOL

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

they become a pest in numbers. i had like 8 of them in the house last night. i have three cats. you can imagine the fun. lol

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh my, I bet it was fun to watch those kitties!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i tell you what. it was funny. i have one that is 13or 14 years old. he lays around alot but let him see a bug and its off and a turtles pace but hes off. then my 2 yr old and 8 month old male cats you just might as well move out their way. its like race horses in the house. you wouldnt think one of them had kidney problems. last night hubby took last ladybug from them and they spent 5 minutes looking for it. never a dull moment here. hehe

Thomson, GA

I was in Greenwood SC today and standing outside taking pictures of a house, minding my own business, and a felt a "pinch"on my arm. Couldn't believe it, looked down and it was a ladybug! Never have I had bugs land on me like this. Guess I'm getting so many freckles (that's a nice way to say age spots) on my arms maybe the ladybugs think I'm another ladybug and they're trying to run me off!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.