Full fall colour

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Most of my JM are now at full fall colour. Here is Suminigashi.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A close-up of the fall colour on Trompenburg

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Fall colour on Red Pygmy..it turns orange!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Sharp's Pygmy

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Omure Yama

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Acer pseudosieboldianum....planted WAY too close to the house, but I ran out of space!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and my Full Moon maple

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Gorgeous. We are just starting to change here although I have one crimson queen that is a little past it's prime, the other is just beginning.

Todd, you make me feel so much better planting close to the house. Hope it works out for you. That's a big tree though. But what color!!!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

That Omure Yama is da bomb-a. Is that variety pretty well tested as Z5? Great pics. Thanks Todd

Bill

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Nice colors Todd ... Mine were starting to turn nicely then about 4 days of 20-25 degree night hard freeze temps and then 4 days of rain and vala ...brown crispy leaves on many of my younger ones..some lost ALL their leaves completly....some others had some color but not good for pics... ..I will try to post some of my larger ones that weren't as close to the ground and escaped the masacree and are turing nicely... My berrima bridge ( still my current all around fav JM) is still the bomb it looks aces just REALLY hard to take a good pics of it cause of the bad background areas unlike Todds that have alot of stuff growing right around it to help them stand out mine BB no such help..David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Bill, I have had absolutely NO dieback at all on Omure Yama. Seems very tough. With age, it will become an upright small tree with weepy branches, but not not weepy like most JM such as Red Dragon. The summer colour is green with a slight bronze tint, but she colours early in the season and holds the leaves for quite some time. That orange-pinkish colour is a knockout....much the same shade as my pseudosieboldianum.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much for posting these pics...I think the pic of Omure Yama locks in where I am going to put my baby tree next year. My potted maples all got scorched in early August, so I did not get much color from them this year. It is nice to see what they might look like.

I like the contrast of the dark bark and bright leaves on the one next to the house!

Laura

nelson, New Zealand(Zone 9a)

Oh boy, that Sumniigashi is spectacular, I have one waiting to be planted now, I will be so thrilled if it's autumn colour is close to yours.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

ferrymead, You are going to love your Suminagashi. It's spectacular all year long.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I can't believe I got my Suminigashi for free! A friend has quite a collection of JM and thought this one so similar to others he had....he also gave me a 'Bloodgood' because it was 'too common'. I got the Suminigashi in 2000 and the Bloodgood in 2001. Both are over 7 feet tall now...they were about 4 feet when I got them.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Pretty good deal, Todd. I'm biting the bullet and I'm going to put the new Fujan I ordered in a container and see if I can keep it a little smaller. If I can't keep it watered though I'm putting it in the ground!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.