Visitor at the pond today

Ulster Park, NY

Good for the Koi that they've muddied up the water, this guy knows they're there. There's a family of Great Blue down the RR track, where a mile of wetland dead ends. They must all be deaf from the horn sounding off before the crossing and the ensuing racket!
My dog was barking and I still had time to run in for the camera.

Thumbnail by noknok
Ulster Park, NY

Not until I went closer, out of cover, did he take off.

Thumbnail by noknok
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Great pictures, you've got a great looking pond there.

Ulster Park, NY

LAKE KATRINE! You're 15-20 minutes from me, unless there are more than one Lake Katrine in NY. I'm 4 miles south of Kingston.
The pond was built last year, amazing how quickly the landscape and animals make it fit in. Thanks for the kind words.

What sort of gardening do you do?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

noknok, I lost almost all the fish in my pond when I had the same visitor in the summer. He only left me the babies.
Dave

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

noknok, I live just south of 9w by Angela's Pizza, way to close to the trains and I hate the way they blow the horns, it's gotten out of hand. I do mainly container gardening since I'm a renter and I dont plan on staying here. My passion is house plants and cactus.
Your Friendly Neighbor
Christine

Ulster Park, NY

Dave I'm sorry about your fish.
Herons are such goofy and elegant birds, that and the absence of blood and gore make them seem less of a predator than raptors or raccoons, though the big gulp is just as deadly.
I'm sure my fish survive only by lack of filtration, we never see them either.

Christine, are you leaving the area or just your current place? I've lived next to the train for 25 years. It gets to be a bit much sometimes, but the land has compensations. There aren't many places that don't have SOMETHING wrong with them, noise, bad water, pesky neighbors, flooding, frost pocket, you name it. I settled for one or two bad things in return for several good things. Plus it was what i could afford.

I have forced air heat and am a bit of a klutz with house plants. It's strictly Sansevierias and "Z plants" for me. I understand compost and manure, plant food confuses me.
I hope you're staying in the area and find the right place!

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

noknok, I'm keeping my eyes open for a place in the area. I love Lake Katrine. I have forced air heat also and I use a mister bottle every other day to keep my plants happy.
Christine

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

great pic..they are a very patient bird. I am amazed at how still they can sit

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

After I noticed your post on the other thread, I checked out your other posts. You are really ambitious. You have a lot more yard than we do as well.

One thing I'm interested in is trying to make one of those hollow rocks to cover our well cover and our water new water meter.

I also really like your pond. I'd like to have a water feature. My son keeps hinting that he'd like to design one, but Pokemon seems to take precedence.

My focus in my garden has been bird and butterfly friendly.

Yours looks like an oasis.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

One bummer pond feature that I must do today: Stick hands into really cold water & fix the pump.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.