Anyone have a favorite dwarf that is wide or weeping?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, I just asked the question! Thanks

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, the only one that I have that i'd call a dwarf is 'Shigitatsu Sawa' & it's gorgeous! I also have a 'Germaine's Gyration' planted in a pot, that I may eventually move out, & the form on this one is lovely, too. I just received a Green Mist, & have incoming Jiro Shidare & Spring Delight-I think these are all small, if not dwarf, & I'm thinking about which ones will be planted out or put in containers...Linda

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, those are sure beautiful trees. I have Germaine's Gyration - keep it in a pot if you don't want it taller than 8 feet. The others are lovely too.

I have found two that may work. One is 'Ellen' and the other is 'Green Snowflake'. I've never seen cultivars listed as this small though. What do you think?
http://japanesemaples.com/catalog/index.php?id=2&page=6#117

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

If you are looking for something special, I just got an email from Della of J & D's Backyard Nursery. She is making a "tree run" next week and might be able to get what you want. I purchased my Omure Yama from her this spring and it is a very nice tree.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you Laura, That is SO sweet of you!
I just decided on a a. japonicum 'Au Jutan' which Japanese Maples had. It's weeping so I'm hoping that I can keep it small. Leaves similar to Maiku Jaku but a smaller mounding tree. This photo is the only one I could find. Has a low graft which is nice and it's a two year tree. Hope that it likes it at my house.
http://www.mandmmaples.com/html/j__au_jutan__wood_s__1_.html

The alternatives were 'Ellen' and 'Green Snowflake'. I probably should have gone with one of them but the japonicum was too good to pass up. Ellen and Green Snowflake are supposed to stay very short. What is my problem????

Is this one staying potted, or did you manage to squeeze a new spot out, lol?

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've got a spot but may keep it in a pot in the spot. It's (supposedly) rare and I couldn't get a real take on the size of it. My dad has been giving me begonias and they need to stay in pots so I've given up on my 'no pot' idea. Also, I've got to keep new daylilies separated so I don't get rust in the rest of the garden. It's such a pain. Guess I'm getting out the hose. :-) Now to pick out a beautiful pot for it............

I also ordered a Acer palmatum Koto ito komachi which I hope to have next year. It's a weeping dwarf form with similar foliage to Koto No Ito. They had a three foot pre bonsai one for 1/2 price sale at Mountain Maples and it was (gulp) $1,400. I think that I'll start small and train it myself.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I have a koto ito kamachi but I really don't think that cultivar is weeping...at least not in a traditional way ... mine did VERY well in full sun with NO leaf burn even with the extreemly thin leafs .. this cultivar is know to revert to a more like koto no ito leaf form ..( NOT so thin) so you must watch it and trim those off ...I've seen this a bit with mine but overall it has stayed VERY thin leafed ..mine's about 20-24" tall and cost about 65$...I don't expect it to get very big. Yah 1400 smackers is OUTRAGIOUS...but anything they put the word "bonzai" by is always more ...but "pre-bonzai" sounds like a bit of a crock to me ...It better be a phenominal specimen for that price cause it isn't an extreemly rare cultivar although a bit hard to propagate since it's branches are TINY ..David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the Koto Ito Komachi, Dave. Do you leave the fatter leaves on for a season like you do with the Koto No Ito or do you take them off right away?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

its my first year with this tree and I just left them ...I would suppose you should take 'em off it they start to predominate ...I would assume as it gets older the reversion , if it in fact happens, will be more pronounced, therefore need more on going attention. David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's what I do with the Koto No Ito. I haven't had a problem yet with reversion as the second season the growth is normal. Isn't that a weird pattern? But of course this is another tree altogether.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is really funny! They sent me an Ellen which is very dwarf. AND the Au Jutan which I'll put in a pot. The distance between the buds is very far so I don't know how small I can keep it even in a pot. We'll see.

Pics?

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The Au Jutan is a Japonicum
http://www.mandmmaples.com/html/j__au_jutan__wood_s__1_.html

The Ellen is a mounding dwarf dissectum
http://www.japanesemaples.com/catalog/index.php?id=2&page=6
Not too exciting but I'm getting tired of trees outgrowing their spaces!

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Both trees are lovely Doss. :-)
Great sites too.
carol

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Doss...Ellen sounds like a winner to me...it would be perfect next to your CQ on that ledge or an area like that...David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's going in this area where the tree is. It was taken out awhile ago. I plan to put in a raised mound and plant the tree there. The front of the area has been planted with daylilies now so I'll keep the tree there in a pot for the first season until I see how it goes. I don't want it to be overwhelmed by daylilies. You see this area through a glass door when you enter the front door. It's an important space.

Thumbnail by doss
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I think if you "berm it up" enough you should be ok...but I can see your potential prob with the lilies... they can get big at least around here they do.... even petite stellas can...but it looks to be a nice spot for it's finely leafed appearance ...David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

No, it does need to be bermed definitely. I don't think that the lilies will be a problem though. There are a couple of azaleas in the bed and they show up just fine. Hardly a traditional planting - daylilies and a JM but who knows?

Doss, you have great instincts for what does well together, I look forward to seeing the arrangement.

Laura

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Doss, I planted a JM at the end of one of my new daylily beds. I believe I may pot it up because it seems off balance. It is about 40 inches tall and when the dls are lush and blooming it seem to small for the bed. I think a berm might work to give added height to
the area.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've got them both potted. Just left them in the one gallons that they came in for the time being. The root systems seems as if they have a way to go before I repot them. They may never go in the place I was thinking. I'm rethinking the bed entirely.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Doss, it is probably too late now and I must have been sleeping not to have seen this thread earlier...Red Dragon would have been a nice choice. Mine forms a mushroom form 4.5 feet tall and probably 5 feet wide. I have Astilbes, Aster novi-belgii, Pulmonaria, Daphne Carol Mackie and Campanula around mine. The Astilbe are red-leaved forms so help balance the red leaves of the maple. Pink and blue flowers are the main colours so blend nicely with the red leaves.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Todd- thanks SO much. I have just about decided to put three trees in pots on some teak tables so that they will gain some height. I thought about using rocks but decided against it. If one of the trees turns out to be what I want I'll transplant it out of it's pot when it's big enough. I mail ordered really small trees so it should take awhile!

Your red tree with the astilbes and other perennials sounds just lovely. But we do know how lovely your yard is to look at. We are all green (or red depending on the tree) with envy. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.