Check out these Heuchera I got

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Lowe's was selling these 14" pots of "Annuals" for 12.00. It was dark when I got home, but I think each pot has 5 heucheras in them. Just don't know what their name is. LOL ID if you know!!!
First pot. The color is pretty accurate. Kinda like butterscotch glazed over chartreuse. They're dusy mauve on the underside of the leaf.

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Same pot

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Anyone know what this is?

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Here's the other pot. These are a bit darker than they really are. There also a small grass in the middle. But I mainly picked em up for the Heucheras. About 10 for 20.00 and 2 nice foam 14" pots.
How long can I wait before I dig em out and plant em in the ground?

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

And the little grass in the middle. Anyone know what the little flowers are?

Thumbnail by baja220
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

baja, the "butterscotch over chartreuse" looks like Dolcé Crème Brulée. Nice find, with all those plants for that price. If you could bury them in pots in the ground and keep the existing roots intact, I'd say that's your best bet for overwintering this late. Heucherae will look great most of the winter, as long as they're not burned; but I'd be afraid of possibly doing damage to the roots that would hurt their chances of making it through the winter. I just "planted" 46 perennials, grasses, and shrubs into a raised vegetable bed that I use for overwintering potted plants. That's the method I've had almost 100% success with. But most of the plants were left in the containers they came in. The only ones I messed with were a couple of root-bound ones that desperately needed bigger pots.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

picture # 3 blue flowers look like my plumbago (hardy kind)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/49213/

you did really good!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Notmartha, I do believe your right!!! Another perennial in my "annual" pots!! Yippie!! I'm gonna plant those in my new Clematis bed I just made to cover their roots!

Mickgene, I have a Creme Brulee but I haven't ventured out to compare them yet. Yesterday it was 73* and today it's 47* with a 100mph north wind. LOL How did you do those accents over your e's?

I'll get some more pics now that it's not dark and see if there's any more perennials.

Debbie

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi baja,
great bargain!
good going. I believe the small blue flowers in Pic #5 are nemesia, a nice annual.
:)
Cindy

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Well, I need to head over to Lowe's to see if I can find anything like that. LOL

Like I need more of ANYTHING......

Susan
=^..^=

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

baja220, nice find and great price! Agree with mickgene, could be Crème Brulée - always hard to tell those amber leaved Heucheras apart though. The "little grass in the middle" looks like a Carex buchananii - there are several with the toffee colored foliage http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=carex&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=buchanii&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&searcher[species]=buchananii. And your Ceratostigma (Plumbago) is a terrific groundcover, blooms forever and spreads quickly!

Debbie

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I thought it was good. When I walked by I didn't pay any attention cause the big sign said Pot Annuals. Then as I was just gettin past em I said "Hey, those are't all annuals!!"
I took a pic with a leaf off my Creme Brulee(how do yal do those accents?) and compared them. The new ones are more ruffled and deeper cut in, but the color is close. The leaf on the left is my CB, the 2 on the right are the new plants. Whatcha think?
Any idea on the purple Heuchera?

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

baja,
the é is keystroke "alt 0233" and the è is "alt 0232". I started using this chart for foreign correspondence, before I ever knew it might be useful for other things, like gardening. :) You'll memorize the ones you use most often so won't need to refer to the chart much.The complete chart is here:
http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Baja I am growing a Creme Brule in a pot and it is a permanent placement. I have one that looks a lot like that it is called Dolce Moucha Mint. I have never seen the Dolce line of plants before in Lowes however. I have several a few Dolce line and they seem ed to fair better this past year. I heard in St Luois that they are a better plant than Terra Nova.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Great link, mickgene, thanks!

Sandy

Thornton, IL

Thanks mickgene, now we can get really fancy! :0)

Could the yellow-leaved heuchera be Amber Waves? And the purple leaved one Silver Scrolls or Amethyst Mist? Beautiful looking plants too.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

PG - that was my thought too. Amber waves. But I don't have one to be certain if that's it.

Debbie - I do have an inkling that the blue flower is the annual Fan Flower Scaevola http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/46019/ . Here's another image showing the leaves a bit better. http://phpstid.obspm.fr/images/jardin/Photos%20massif%20de%20fleurs%20Meudon%202005/Jardinieres%20-%20divers/Scaevola%20bleu.jpg

I agree with rcn48 that the grass is Carex buchanii but I don't have a guess on the purple leaved Heuchera.

Boy, you sure scored with that haul!

Sandy

Thornton, IL

That grass could also be Toffee Twist sedge, which is an annual. LOL I had one in a container last year, my BF asked me if I knew that my plant had died, ROFL.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

PG - Yeah, It's all about perspective, eh? "Dead you say? No, it's BRONZE, silly (or bonehead, or nincampoop depending on mood)!"

Sandy

Thornton, IL

I pointed out it's lovely texture, she was not convinced, started to back away slooowly..heh heh.

That's okay, my sister still thinks my beloved prairie flowers look like *gasp* weeds! She tried to compliment a new garden I started in late June (which is the best time to plant grasses and forbs, although I forget exactly why), by saying it was "just perfect, don't change a thing, exact right amount of plants, etc." which of course, cannot be true, ever, to an enthusiastic plantsman. I must've looked at her like she was a raving maniac, she started to back away slooowly...

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Well, I made poor DH go by our Lowes after we ate dinner and sure enough they had the 14" annual pots for $10. However, they were ALL annuals. Figures....

The pots were nice though, but I didn't get anything. I think that is the first time ever I have left Lowes without buying anything.

Susan
=^..^=

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

"first time ever I have left Lowes without buying anything"

Susan,

Ctrl + Alt + Hug ......... what an inspiration you are! lol

Sandy

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Susan, you DH is a sweety!!!! Want to go pick you up a couple here?

PrairieGirl and Sandy, I think yal could be right about Amber Waves. Anyone have a picture from their garden? When looking for info and pic, one place said AW fall and winter color was more green. May have to wait to see the flower color next spring, but I'm leaning towards AW.

Haven't had time to look at the purple one yet, but I have an Amethyst Myst I can compare them to.

Mickgene, thanks for the link!!

OZ, do you give your pot any protection in the winter?

Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.