anybody grow tomatillos?

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm interested in growing some, but never have. Are they easy to grow from seed or are plants better?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I grow tomatillos. I started with plants and have had them ever since. The plants reseed themselves like mad. I feel that seeds would work as well, but I haven't tried them. Tomatillos freeze in my zone 5a environment, but in your 8a environment, I bet you could get high productivity and not worry about the plants freezing in the winter. I am, in fact, envious, because it usually freezes before most of my tomatillos are ready.
Tomatillos are fast growers. I have read that if the plant falls over and touches the ground, the branch will root as well. I suspect you will have excellent results whether you try plants or seeds. Keep us posted.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2006 10:12 PM

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

thanks, paja! Now for spring to roll around! :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I too am already dreaming of spring.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

J I got 20 gallons from eight plants when I harvested at the end of the season . I used lazy transplants I purchased in the spring. Hint I learned from a Mexican fellow to not stake them they are much happier and productive sprawling on the ground. I harvested at the end of the season by pulling the whole plant up and then picking the branches clean. Many will be laying on the ground and are good just check them when you pick them up. Ernie

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

We just don't see tomatillos around here. I searched and searched this spring once I realized I had a little spare room in the garden, and there were none to find! Sounds like, if they reseed so readily, that I may want to try growing a couple in large containers next year. Does anyone know of or have a preferred site to buy tomatillo seeds from?

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

I found someone on gardenweb.com that had them for trade, so I'll get to try some from seed next year. thanks for the info eweed! It is great to know they grow well around here. Now I can judge how many plants I should plant for my needs. I don't think I'll need 20 gallons! :)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I bought my tomatillo seeds supply from the local grocery store. I picked out the biggest ones and pulled the seeds out and they germinated as fast as tomatoes do! I'm sure there are quite a few varieties/colors but those grocery store ones were delish!

jburesh, make sure you plant more than just one plant though because they need another plant near them to pollinate.

Shoe.

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

ah, great information! I didn't know they need 2 to pollinate.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi,

I grew three tomatillos this year, all from plants. I think I will try from seed next year! They were very easy to grow, they grow BIG and they produce massive amounts from just one sigle plant. I asked the person I bought my plants from and they said I would not need a pollinator, but better safe than sorry! I planted the third plant quite late in the season, and it still got plenty of tomatillos from it.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

www.tomatogrowers.com have different varieties of tomatillos if you are loking for seed ?

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

Can I ask you all how you cook them? I love all veg and cant seem to get used to the taste!

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

I put them in green chili. You roast them in the oven a bit, then chop them and through them in with all the other ingredients.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

I use them in salsa along with tomatoes, red onion, and jalapenos, among other things. Can't remember the recipe off the top of my head at the moment. Turns out really good though!

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Biscombe,

My favorite way is green salsa, prepared as follows:

Boil down tomatillos, just cut them in quarters and start at low heat, adding no water because they will produce lots of liquid on their own.

When they are all boiled down, put in blender with some raw chopped yellow onion, lots of cilantro, salt, serrano pepper to taste (one small serrano usually provides plenty of heat for a big batch of salsa).

This message was edited Nov 4, 2006 11:08 AM

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

I'm going to keep giving them a go! thanks for the tips :-) got the last ones in the fridge, I'll give your recipies a try, hope they get my taste buds going, cos If not I'm not growing them next year! ;-))

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I have volunteers in my garden every year, so the seed must be hardy!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I bought them once and have volunteers that I thin out every year since. I like the fresh salsa the best. 6 large tomatillos, some (maybe 1/4) white onion diced and rinsed in cold water, lots of cilantro, a serrano or 2, salt & pepper all in a food processor with a tiny bit of water if needed.

Roasted salsa - same thing, just roast all the ingredients under a broiler and then process. No need to rinse the onion when roasting

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.