Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants- New publication

http://www.bbg.org/abo/pressroom/gardenpubs/2006/2006native.html

Quoting:
Brooklyn, NY—September 2006—With the landmark release of Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants, Brooklyn Botanic Garden presents the first-ever double issue in the acclaimed All Region Guide series. In 1996, BBG published the groundbreaking handbook Invasive Plants: Weeds of the Global Garden—the first comprehensive publication to identify North America's worst invasive plants—and for years readers have asked for a companion volume featuring ecologically safe alternatives.

Brooklyn Botanic Garden is committed to actively arousing public awareness of the fragility of our natural environment—and providing information about ways to conserve and protect it. This special double volume educates gardeners not only about the threat of invasive species but also about the variety of native plants that are beautiful, regionally characteristic, and fulfill the same needs as their nonnative counterparts commonly used in horticulture. By selecting regional natives, gardeners can help to preserve the natural character of their region as well as the complex interrelationships between native plants and the butterflies, birds, and myriad other creatures with which they have coevolved. This All-Region Guide defines what an invasive plant is and makes it easy for the reader to select an environmentally appropriate alternative.

Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants is an indispensable guide for everyone who loves dazzling gardens and cares about the health of North America's natural landscapes. Invasive plants, the overwhelming majority of which are not regionally native, brazenly spread unchecked across residential landscapes, parks, preserves, roadsides, and other wild lands, supplanting native species and ultimately threatening the ancient biological communities in their path. In fact, most scientists now consider invasive species to be one of the top two threats to this planet's native plants and animals (the other is habitat loss). Invasive species cause major environmental damage amounting to almost $120 billion a year. Yet invasive plants are still commercially available, and a few of them remain wildly popular. Japanese barberry, for example, is one of the hottest-selling plants in the nursery trade, and Norway maple is one of the most widely planted trees in the country.

In the Garden's newest handbook, plant professionals and home gardeners alike will discover hundreds of spectacular native plants for every region, specially chosen as alternatives to the invasive species that are degrading the continent's natural habitats. These beautiful wildflowers, shrubs, and trees not only serve as alternatives to invasive plants but also offer food for butterflies, birds, and other wildlife.

What's Inside:
Native trees, shrubs, vines, herbaceous plants, and grasses—organized by plant type for easy reference
Easy-to-identify alternatives to the worst invasive plants used in horticulture
"Attributes at a Glance" box highlighting each plant's most attractive features
Native plant Q&A
Hands-on growing tips
The book features an indispensable encyclopedia of native alternatives to invasive plants that is conveniently organized by horticultural plant group: trees, shrubs, vines, herbaceous plants, and grasses. For each invasive species, one to four regional natives are profiled, including a full-color photographs, ornamental attributes and uses, related species, and growing tips, along with a list of additional alternatives, provided on Brooklyn Botanic Garden's website at bbg.org/nativealternatives. Ideally the native alternative matches all or most of the invasive plant's desirable characteristics, such as flowers and bloom time, foliage, fruit, form, texture, color, hardiness and ease of care.

Read excerpts from Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants
New York Times Book Review called BBG's handbook series a "brilliant collection of little gardening handbooks… Each one takes a small bite of subject matter and chews it thoroughly… the mix of common sense, practical advice and, on occasion, pointed debunking… makes these slender volumes do the work of books twice their size and three times their price. And what the handbooks… lack in acreage they make up for in authority."

Hot off the press from our Bookworm-

http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/2094/

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Equil for the information on this publication, I love the BBG and visit yearly. If you go to their website, www.bbg.org and look at the books section you can get a tremendous amount of free information on what to plant and what not to plant.

The BBG is pretty progressive aren't they! Nice link to all the books. I ran into another website that specifically listed alternatives to invasives. William Cullina listed out alternative plants and he did a great job too but then consider the source as he's a great author-

http://www.newfs.org/conserve/docs/invalt2.pdf

Townsend, MA

Great book, and at only 9.95 everyone should have a copy.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Equilibrium, thanks for the link - ordered the book and ended up ordering Armitage's book as well!

You know something, I just went to Bookworm and ordered a few books I have been meaning to get and I went there specifically to order this Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants by C. Colston Burrell book and ended up ordering everything but the kitchen sink and totally forgot to order this book. I could just kick myself in the rear for that because now if I order it by itself, I'll get hammered with shipping and handling charges which really irks me to no end.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Maybe if you hurry, you could add it to your order...?

It's too late. I had already totalled out and paid. They did cancel one book I ordered already. I had ordered Nature Out of Place : Biological Invasions in the Global Age by Jason Van Driesche and they just electronically credited me back money because it was out of stock at the time of order. That's a bummer because that was one of the four books I wanted to read over the winter. So, I forgot to order the C. Colston Burrell book I went to order and then the Van Driesche book got cancelled. I suspect I will have to go back and find another Nature Out of Place book and while I'm at it, I might as well order the Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants which had been my intent anyway. I just hate it when I do dumb things. This will probably cost me an extra $5 in shipping and handling and I'm sort of cheap when it comes to things like that which is why I try to get everything on one order.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

If you're ordering direct from Amazon, then the shipping charges are added together......but if you want a used book and buy from somebody else selling their books, you always have to buy this book from that person, the other book from another person etc etc, then your shipping and handling charges are always separate. And I always buy the used book.

This book though, the $9.95 one, I did buy direct from Amazon. One for me and one for dad........

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Lauren, add it to your "Christmas list" :)

Do you have a link to 'Bookworm' ?

This message was edited Nov 3, 2006 5:25 AM

When I post the link you're going to feel really silly-
http://davesgarden.com/gbw/

You could go up to the top of this page and there's a tab right next to PlantScout for Bookworm- giggle.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

well duh - just slap me! LOL

I have moments like this myself. Lately, I have lots of moments like this.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

ooo and Amazon does free shipping if your order is over $25. You have to go in and change your shipping option after you place your order or they will do standard shipping and you'll pay. If you change it to Super Saver Free, you don't have to pay. But as it was mentioned, if you buy from a marketplace seller, shipping is $3.49 or something close to that. sometimes it's worth it though. I bought a used in like new condition book for .01,,,,Gotta Love it!

Just got a few on gardening and Invasive Plants of the Upper Midwest was one of them. Also got Insects of North America and Roadside Geology of Wisconsin. I love Amazon Way too much and I'm sure they love me,,,lol I went on a book binge here over the last few months,,,,ouch on the cc.

Kelly

edited cuz I kant spel

This message was edited Nov 8, 2006 10:57 AM

wots rong with ur spellin?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

WOFWOW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.