My Bummy is very sick

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

My buddy, "Bummy" who has been with us for 14 years, and was at least 4 years old when we adopted him is very sick. He is at least 18 years old, is in end stages of kidney failure, and we have been doctoring for a few months. This last week he has quit eating completely, and only drinks a little water. We have tried everything. We called the vet this evening to find out if this condition would be causing him any pain, but the vet didn't think so. We discussed our options, and what's best for Bummy, and tomorrow morning we are going to take him back to the vet and he will do some blood work to see if it's getting worse, or if the kidneys have maybe shut down completely.

I am so sad, and I didn't know where to turn. I thought maybe this forum would be the best place to find some support and guidance. I can do nothing but sit with him, (he's sitting beside me now), and cry. I just want him to feel better. He's been my constant buddy whenever I am home. Until he started feeling poorly, he followed me wherever I went in the house, and the kids used to joke that he must be on an invisible leash. Now he doesn't follow me so much, because he is very weak. If I am going to be gone from a room for a long while, I bring him with me. I've taken time off from work to be with him for awhile, and also my MIL, who has liver cancer.

I'm just very down, and needed to share my feelings with some other pet lovers. This guy is like one of our kids, and it's very hard to realize that we may have to let him go. I cannot do that without first knowing we have done everything we can for him.

Please keep us in your thoughts tomorrow. We don't know if we will be able to bring Bummy home with us or not. The vet said the blood tests will tell us where we stand at this point. If at all possible, they can hook him up to an IV and flush his system if his kidneys are still working at all. If the kidneys have shut down, then we will have to say our goodbyes.

Okay, I'm crying now, so I'll quit. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts.

Hugs,

Joan and Bummy

Here's bummy at Halloween 2004 with him's punkin.

Thumbnail by Joan
This thread has 313 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!