Planting Garlic and Jerusalem Artichokes (Sunchokes)

Central New York Sta, NY

This is my first post at DG and I’m hoping someone can help.
I ordered some beautiful Garlic and Jerusalem Artichokes for planting, however, I’ve been foiled by the Upstate NY weather! We’ve had cold rain and/or snow since I received them in early October. There is break in the weather today and tomorrow, but a big storm forecast for the weekend that will bring lots of Rain (and/or snow).
Halloween, however, is forecasted for 60 degrees (with precip. to follow).
Am I better to get them in the ground now and risk them getting really drenched then really cold, or wait until the ground is a bit warmer next week (and probably still get drenched and cold)? Either way I can mulch the heck out of them. I just hate to loose such nice specimens.

Ulster Park, NY

Not sure about the garlic Snowhiterider, but the J.A. you will have forever more once they're in. Unless they're actually sitting in water or ice, maybe, but I've never seen anything daunt these plants. I dig "all" of mine up every fall (and during the season too) and next spring they're sprouting everywhere, flowering at 12 feet.
I hope you like to eat them, LOTS of them, hehe!

Here they are, on the right, the arbour on the left is over 8' tall.

Thumbnail by noknok
Central New York Sta, NY

Wow noknok!
They are beautiful. Much taller than I ever expected (I think I need to rethink where I planned on planting them! Well, I have full snow coming down right now, so I don't think I'll be planting today. I appreciate your response. I'm new to the site and to gardening and seeing your place has totally inspired me. Beautiful!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Plant the garlic now and don't worry.

Tom

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

That's what those are. I have a whole bunch growing in the back wild near my wife's bee hive.

Ulster Park, NY

They're good to dig up now, after frost. Very tasty, I think. Makes a great "cream-of".
Then you can fart proudly, like Benjamin Franklin. I'm not kidding!

I forgot to say welcome, Snowhiterider, though I'm rather new myself.

Edit: I forgot to mention, as soon as they've flowered, they crash down on the Dahlias.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2006 8:11 PM

Central New York Sta, NY

Thanks All. I think I have one clear day today ... I'll be out there diggin'

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I plant garlic on the 10th of October every year whether it is 80 degrees or 25 and putting down a blizzard. Always have a great crop from the raised boxes I plant in. BTW, beautiful places like your pics are why I keep coming back to NY for the summers instead of just moving south permanently.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I just planted my garlic last week
I try to get it in around Coumbus day
but that neve happens
Where in central NY do you live?
I live on the noth shore of Oneida lake

Kikisdad,nice to see you around again
you can't beleive that spanish moss!!!
I love it
its hanging on all the brugs in the GH

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi CC. We live about 12 miles west of Binghamton in the summer. Glad the moss is doing well for you. I now have in storage 5 bushels of roots from the red Cannas that You gave me at the 1st (very wet) N.E. roundup as well as lots of Yellow Flags in the pond overflow from you. Looked for you at the state fair but didn't connect. If you get cold this winter come on down to FL for a couple weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.