Adenium socotranum

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Hi,

I was wondering: How scarce is A. socotranum in culture in US? Here in Europe it is almost impossible to find this (sub-?)species for sale. Last Spring I succeeded in finding a small, very expensive seedling in a german cactus-succulent nursery garden and bought it right away. Unfortunately I made the mistake and overwatered the plant causing lethal rootrot. :-(

Once again, I am on the search...

Best regards,

Martin

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Martin,
A bunch of us were ogling the lovely caudiciforms from vendors listed here:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/663009/
Maybe one of them has your adenium. Gutes Gluck!

Geneva, FL(Zone 9b)

I recently bought 2 from a collector and they are not cheap. No one in the USA has seen one flower--yet. If your seller is reputavle he/she should be able to tell you whence the seeds came on the Island of Socotra and what year they were collected. Mine came with a "pedigree tag" naming the expedition, the person collectong and the longitude/latitude of the place in the Island there were taken. Very few expeditions are allowed to this island as a rule and then, only certain times of the year. I would be very cautious about even buying seeds and there are sellers on Ebay claoming to have them and I do not believe them. I am attching a picture of my A. socotranum and the info tag that came with it.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2006 5:52 PM

Thumbnail by Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL(Zone 9b)

Note the rather distinctive texture of the bark on this young plant.

Geneva, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's the tag

Geneva, FL(Zone 9b)

These plants are all I could get. Before buying the 2nd, I sent these same pics to a well known adenium breeder and he verified their identity immediately. I am definitely hanging onto these in the hopes they will one day bloom and set seed. in the interim, there is a seller claiming to have socotranum seedlings--smaller ones---and he seems to have a good reputation though I cannot guarantee what he has is the real thing, ---here's a link if you want to see what he has: http://www.rareexotics.com/store/index.php/cat_154

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Bbinnj Thanks for the tip. :-) But until now I haven't found it yet.

Ncasselberryfla, mine was a "true" one as well. The texture of the bark and leaves looked exactly like yours but mine was more compact. I had it id'ed by several persons. I bought it at the oldest cactus and succulent nursery in Germany.

- Martin

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Haage??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.