A new NC gardener here!

Boone, NC(Zone 6a)

Hey all! I'm new to gardening, having decided it to be a great pass time now that we have the space. (We just recently moved into a nice house on 2.25 acres. Before we lived on...well a LOT less. I don't know the exact number, but it was under a third of an acre and a pain to do anything with.) Anywho, I was thinking of starting my garden in the house with just one or two potted plants for the winter. Any suggestions for these plants? Keep in mind I'm very new to this, but very willing to learn. :)

Kate

Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

Kate, I have no information for you on the plants to start but just wanted to welcome you to the Carolina Gardening Forum.

Congrats on the new home.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

And from me, too, and Hearty WELCOME TO DG!

Not sure what kind of house plant you are looking for but how about something like a scented geranium? They are very fragrant, offering you not only their fragrance but also some nice tame greenery!

Or maybe something like an herb box, in your kitchen window, with basil, oregano (Greek is most flavorful), with some onion chives and a small rosemary plant in it! Yay!

Again, welcome to the site! See you around!

Shoe.

(I was just up your way a couple weeks ago, camping on the Parkway. The Fall leaves were beautiful!)

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Katerbug, Welcome! You have landed in the right place.

How about an Oxalis Triangularis? (Shamrock Plant). I have a lovely purple one. It gets charming little pink flowers on it, and at night it puts itself to bed (the leaves close up). I have passed it along to a number of neighbors, and they tell me it is a favorite.

I do bring it inside in the winter, and it goes on the deck in the summer. This summer I planted a clump in the garden, intending to see if it would make it outdoors through the winter. But the deer have pruned it to about an inch high, so I am not sure if it will come back.

Anyway, if you'd like a start - sent me a D-Mail. And welcome again!

Entlie

Thumbnail by Entlie
New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

P.S. I forgot to mention that I have grown oxalis triangularis in the ground in Kentucky and in a very sheltered spot, it wintered fine. In North Carolina, a warmer growing climate, I think it would be even better - if you didn't serve it as a deer appetizer.

Entlie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Now THAT's a mighty pretty plant, Entlie!

Love it!

Shoe.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Welcome from cold rainy damp Raleigh,NC. I love Boone it was in my territory when I traveled teaching Medicaid classes. Part of my family lives in Hudson. Saw my 1st white Christmas there in 1995.

Lavina

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

When I lived in a apartment in Princeton NJ and dreamed of having land to plant a garden, I grew aloe (very good for burns--I was into cooking then) jade trees and spider plants. All are good looking, easy to propagate for friends, and not too demanding of a person who was spending all her spare time reading books on how to grow all the food you need on a suburban sized lot.

An indoor environment is a challenge for most plants. If you are thinking of starting your outdoor garden early to get a jump on the season, I'd wait til Feb and spend the next few months researching what you want to grow.

My first thought would be peonies. Beautiful, undemanding perennials--supposed to be deer resistant--this is the best time to plant them--outside of course. Highbush blueberries would be my other choice!

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Hi katerbug

Welcome!

I just got back from Boone last night.We have a farm North West of Boone in the Beaverdam area.

The best place to learn about gardening in our area is at the farmer's market.The venders are all local and are very happy to give as much advice as you want.I think that last Saturday was the last market but it will start up in early Spring.

Nancy

Entlie, your plant looks healthy and happy.

Shoe, does rosemary over winter ioutside n the Carolinas? I have two large plants here that I could bring with me if they do. To large to try and over winter in the house. What other spices and herbs do well in the ground during the winter???

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy, Carat!

Some types of rosemary do great here during the Winter. "Arp" is very hardy and will survive no problem. Others ("Blue Spiral" comes to mind) will survive if we have mild Winters but during harsh ones they'll bite the dust. Any idea what kind you have? If it were me, I'd bring them no matter what. You could at least use them to take cuttings/rootings of for future stock.

As for other herbs, thyme does well as does some types of oregano/marjoram herbs. (Italian oregano and Greek oregano are claimed to be hardy only to zone 8 but if they are well established and mulched I've had good luck with them.)

Hope this helps.
Shoe.

(And of course, it goes without saying, MINT definitely does well here!)

Thank Shoe!!!

Is there a place that mint wont grow???? The first time I planted a few things in our first home I planted a lemon mint. My mom had one on the side of the house and I loved going in that area to mow during the summer because of the smell. I didn't remember how big it was or the way mom cursed the thing constantly. I had a heck of a time trying to keep it semi contained in the area during that summer. After moving that winter a neighbor later told me that the woman that purchased the home cursed me constantly for the mint that was growing all over in the back yard. It was so happy there that it was taking over the yard. LOL

I have no clue as to what type of Rosemary this is, but it is very woody and bushy. I will see if I can talk my camera into taking one picture. It has been defying my every move lately. Either way I think I will take at least one of them with us, since they are the same kind.

Thanks again. Sorry for hijacking Katerbug

Thurmond, NC(Zone 6b)

Hi Katerbug~

Although I've been learning my way around the wonderful DG site for months I'm new to posting! You've inspired me today however. We are practically neighbors~ My husband and I have recently picked up 13 acres and a cabin we hope to start a hosta and perennial farm on. It's over close to West Jefferson, NC, about 40 miles from Boone! I love that area so much.

Do I know allot about farming shade loving perennials? No. Am I hungry to learn? Yes! There is enough experience on this site to keep us plenty busy learning!

Growing plants inside isn't hard for me. I found a few good used books online, even a reference system similiar to the recipe file clubs some folks use in their kitchens. It's entitled 'Success with House Plants' and is full of anything you ever wanted to know about hundreds of house plants. It is wonderful with large color pictures to reference too. It's kind of like cooking from a recipe, I just follow the directions and woo-lah, successful house plants! I think it is important not to be intimidated by our lack of experience. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Personally I have had very good luck with herbs, african violets, peace lily's, miniature palm trees to name a few.

Welcome to Dave's Garden from a newbie too! Hope to see you around~!

Smiles, Suzie

This message was edited Nov 11, 2006 4:41 PM

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

welcome,maybe we can do some trading we arent but like 1 hour away from each other
moretz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.