Pot Lifter

Santa Cruz, CA

I recently saw a thread about a device for lifting large, heavy garden pots, and now I need that information but (with the search engine not working) I can't find the thread! Please tell me how to find that thread, or where I could get one of those devices.

Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If I'm thinking of the right thread, I think the pot lifter was from Charley's Greenhouse.

Santa Cruz, CA

Thanks for the referral, but I couldn't find this item anywhere on the Charley's Greenhouse website. It appears on the Gardener's Supply website as "pot lifter," with a picture, but it's no longer available. I'll try phoning their customer service desk to ask if they could tell me who makes that item.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might try searching under "pot truck" instead, I think that might be what Charlie's called it. My web connection is really slow today or else I would look it up for you and put a link in here.

Santa Cruz, CA

I should have been more clear in describing the "pot lifter" I'm looking for. I would call it a sling. It's a sort of strap that fits around a large pot, with handles for two persons to lift the pot.Its capacity is at least 200 pounds. The "pot truck" on the Charley's Greenhouse website is like a hand truck, with a capacity of 100 pounds. It looks good for smaller pots, but I need to move fifteen very large pots that are full of soil and weigh close to 200 pounds.
Here's a picture from the Gardener's Supply Company on-line catalog of the item that's no longer available from them.

Thumbnail by tkarwin
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If the pot truck would meet your needs but you just need something with more carrying capacity than 100 lb, I know I've seen them other places too and I'm sure there are some that can hold larger pots. You might try broadening your search to home improvement stores/websites vs strictly gardening ones--I know they sell dollies and hand trucks for moving furniture which would be able to hold more than 100 lb and these might be able to be used for pots too depending on how they're set up, and I've also seen lifting straps for furniture which might be able to do something similar to the pot sling you're showing above.

Santa Cruz, CA

Thanks for the suggestion to look into furniture moving equipment. That's a good lead! I have written to a company that makes nylon straps in a variety of sizes and shapes.

The hand truck option won't work for our particular need, which involves lifting the pots straight up to place saucers under them. The close fit between the pot and the saucer precludes a "tipping" approach, either with or without a handtruck.

(It would be a lot easier if the pots were not full of plants and soil, but we're trying to avoid re-potting for the present.)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's one--I think it might be the same one you saw before. Saw it advertised in the issue of Garden Compass that showed up in the mail today
http://www.potlifter.com/

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

I thought this was an interesting item. I tried searching myself and couldn't find one. Thanks ecrane for finding it - I have mine ordered.
Bonnie

Santa Cruz, CA

That's it! Thanks, ecrane3.
That's exactly the right tool for my particular task.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.