Neem Oil

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

I'm new to the organic gardening forum and would like to know if Neem Oil (100% natural) conforms to the codes generally accepted in the organic gradening community. How good is it as a pesticide/fungicide? And lastly is it readily available in the US?

I am finding it hard to locate a European supplier on the internet and US companies won't ship abroad. Of course it is all by-the-by if you tell me it's no good! But I would really appreciate some opinions. Thanks. Lizzy

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

Hi BLizzy, I bought some the other day in Motril!! If you remind me on friday I'll give you the name of the spanish company

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Hi Biscombe

Thanks a lot for that! What do you think of it? Can you remind me to remind you on Friday!!!!! Just kiddin' I'll write it in my diary....Lizzy

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

heheheheh!!!!! LOL!! not used it yet, the first sign of any bugs I'll report back!! want me to send you some?? I paid 27€ for a huge bottle and you only use a tiny amount (not at home sorry for being vague!!), I think they have a smaller bottle though.....

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Neem does seem to be very expensive generally everywhere. The cheapest I have seen it for sale is on the cannabis sites where they sell it for 6-9 euros per 50ml. But 27 Euros does not seem like a fortune - how big is the bottle? I might be interested in the smaller one. Let me know how much it costs and what the volume is. Also important as I understand is the percentage of active compound. Does it state this on the label?

I can send you cash in the post.

Cheers
Lizzy

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

Not at home! I work away in the week! but I can let you know friday

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Sure - I didn't realise - I was getting ahead of myself!!!
Speak Friday.
Thanks
Lizzy

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

There are neem oil mixtures that contain more neem (azadirachtin) and those that contain less, with according degrees of effectiveness. Generally, you dilute the higher concentrations of azadirachtin with more water, but not always, so try and read up on it. I think the highest ppm I've seen for neem is around 1900 from ghorganics. That would need some diluting.

Really good thread about neem here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/648454/

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Thanks Zeppy - I followed up all the links and found out what I need to know. Very useful info.

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Lizzy,

Have you found any advice for using Neem oil? Does it dilute in water?

Pat

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Real neem oil, doesn't dilute in water , I have tried it, it stops up the sprayer nozzle, and never seems to mix in. I have thus resorted to buying the neem concentrate found at lowes for about 6 or 7 dollars a concentrated quart of it. I have the real neem oil, that stinks to high heavens, for lotions and soaps, have used it on the dogs to treat for mange etc... but it is very difficult to mix it with water. and it burns the plants if not mixed to the proper proportions.

kathy

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Lizzy,
I can't help you out with a source, but I use need oil on my roses. I mix it with water in a few drops of Dr Bronner's peppermint castile soap.
The Doc Bronner helps with the icky smell and helps the oil to mix with the water better. I also shake the container often while spraying.

It works well on the things I use it for, aphids, white fly, scale, powdery mildew & black spot (also good for fungus gnats in potted plants)

When finished you need to rinse your sprayer with hot soapy water because the neem oil will gum it up something horrible and you'll end up needing to buy a new one.

Also, I don't use it when the bees are active, it won't hurt the bees who land on a leaf that has been sprayed, but if you happen to spray a bee it will kill them.

Dove

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

thanks Dove. I know what you mean about it gumming up - it's really greasy. but as you say, soap or detergent will disperse the oil and emulsify it. Thanks to all of you for your helpful ideas. Lizzy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.