Shade Vines

Kirkland, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi - I'm Bonnie from Costa Mesa, Zone 10 and relatively new to DG and new to gardening. I finished building a small deck and arbor this summer, with only enough space for maybe two or three large pots, a few hanging baskets, a bistro table and two chairs – and with that it will be crowded. Three steps forward from the living room slider and three steps side to side about covers the amount of space I have for gardening. Condo living has its advantages, but space isn't one of them. Nevertheless, I've been determined to have something alive growing out my window and pretty to look at. Turns out, with the addition of the arbor, I have more shady area than full sun, but thought I’d attempt a couple of vines in pots. Any ideas? In this zone, plants chosen for the sunny spaces on my deck are unlimited. It’s the shade issue I would like advise on. With winter coming, I may be premature in asking my question. Still I'd be interested in knowing what you might like to share.

This is a repeated message I also posted on the California Gardening forum. Apologies for the redundancy, but I'm eager to learn.

Thanks a lot.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BWebster
Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi BWebster, I don't know much about your zone or vines for shade, but maybe a Jasmine? You may want to add your post to Shady Gardens forum

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I suggest a Sweet Potato Vine (Margarita). It's a wonderful shade of Chartreuse green, grows quite readily, and would provide a lovely contrast on the white trellis. It'll creep with no problem, and your trellis will provide the containment it needs. Look it up in the plant files and you'll get an idea of what it will do.

P.S. I'm a not-so-new newbie. Welcome to Dave's Garden! It's the best place, and the best people in the world! P.S. Go find TomTom's posts on the Container Gardening forum, and get ready to be blown you away!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

GymGirl is right, you cannot go wrong with a Sweet Potato Vine. The Margarita's lime green color and fast growth are incredible. The 'Blackie' version is a good companion. Both of mine in the patio with filtered sun grew like weeds. See the dates on the pic for comparison.

Thumbnail by pheitmeyer
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Pheitmeyer,
How'd you put those dates on your pics? I've been wanting to put labels on my pics, but haven't figured out how to. Are you simply creating a text box and grouping it to the photo? I use Picasa. Thanks.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

GymGirl, I just copied them into mspaint (comes with windows) and then sized them, then just typed in the text. I use Picasa also for touching up and putting effects on photos, but I don't believe you can type text on them.

Kirkland, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you pheitmeyer and thank you Gymgirl,

I'll check out the sweet potato vine now. I appreciate the suggestion.

Bonnie

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

If there's not too much sun in that area, you may also want to consider Cissus discolor. If it gets a good amount of sun, Lablab purpureus may work fine there.

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

stephanotis - it's a jasmine vine for the shade, large fragrant tubular white flowers used in boutineers for men in weddings. Since we have no winter in so cal, plant now or any other time. No need to wait.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.