Twix Jack Frost and Old Man Winter

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Tis Brassica time. This is an Amber Globe Turnip. Lots of great veggies to grow in this time slot.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Sumrall, MS(Zone 8a)

Hey farmedill, nice picture there. I'm having problems with something eating holes and pieces of my greens. Can you give me any suggestion on what it is and how do you keep your greens so healthy. thanks

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Most likely the cabbage worm. Seen small white butterfies around, the larvae are green worms that eat the leaves. They seem to prefer cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and collards. I use Bt. (DIPEL). Rarely have to use it on turnips or rutabagas. They don't seem to bother the mustard or spinach.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I remember buying broccoli at a farmer's market years ago. When I got through steaming it, I found a big, green worm hiding in it, also well steamed.

I ate the broccoli, anyway. After I tossed the worm.

I haven't seen any worms on my broccoli this year. Just flea beetles.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

One other good thing about the fall garden. As the temps drop, the activity of the cabbage worm butterfly is curtailed. I don't expect any further trouble from them. Flea beetles have also retired for the winter.

Early Dividend broccoli should be ready for Thanksgiving.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Man, am I in a state of envy, If you saw my broccoli plants you would know why. No I am not sending pics of same.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am harvesting brussles sprouts 'Oliver' which I planted in the spring. Fresh roasted brussels sprouts is a favorite of my husband's and mine. I marinate them in a little olive oil and salt and lots of garlic for a few minutes, then roast them in the oven. Yum!

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Now I am envious. Brussells sprouts have really put me to the test over the years. Never have gotten a plant as pretty as your photo. Those little cabbages are delicious tho, just steamed with a little butter.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Farmerdill,
Brussels Sprouts love the cool air we have hear year round and grow beautifully here. I expect to grow them in GA you would have to grow them over the winter, plant in fall and harvest in Spring. They are delicious. They are our consolation for being unable to grow okra at all. I really do miss the okra in the South.
Last time I was in Mississippi, I bought some fresh brussels sprouts in the store, but never got around to cooking them, so I left all my left over food with a friend. I heard from her not long afterwards that she never thought she liked brussels sprouts until she tried those. Now she is a fan. Funny what a bad rap they have gotten -- probably from people who over cook them.

Oh, yes. I have lots of yummy veg in. Lettuce is coming along. All sorts of mustards, tatsoi and other asian leaf veg. Radishes of all colors. All I am missing is black radish :( I forgot to order the seeds.
Loads of Kales with distinctive leaves, red leaf beets, feathery top carrots, garlic...the beds are full. It's going to be nippy tonight, so I've got my old sheets read to cover, just in case a little frost comes our way!

GGG

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The brassica family is pretty frost proof, takes a pretty hard freeze to slow them down.
pajaritomt - the major problem here with Brussels sprout is their long season. Very tricky to get them started early enough to head up in January. August is usually so hot that transplants won't take. If they get pushed into spring, they are programed to start seeding with increase daylenght, so as late February and March approach they bolt to seedheads instead of sprouts.
This Tendergreen Mustard-Spinach. First time trying it, but it is getting good reviews. Real easy to grow.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Great photos and sharing! This encourages me with all the food I can actually grow, next season. I really just need a sense of when to start seeds, when to put them out into the HEBs I'll be making for the spring, and when and what to spray with for bugs. Is there a schedule of planting somewhere on DG? For the different zones? I'm in Zone 9a, Houston. This would be a great sticky.

Sumrall, MS(Zone 8a)

Yes, farmerdill I do see white moth looking bugs flying around my garden. I havent yet seen any worms. Are they really small to where you can hardly see them? I know that they really do love to munch on my mustard and collards everyday. So any how, I was hoping that the cold temps. that's coming around will keep them away. And farmerdill, I shouldnt worry too much now since the weather is beginning to get cold, right?

Thanks famerdill, very helpful!

Sumrall, MS(Zone 8a)

PS. I love the picks you guys have posted. I love to see pics of veggies others are growing. Just to give an idea of what mine should look like. Thanks.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ah, Farmerdill,
I see your problem with brussels sprouts. I guess they are better suited to more northern climes. Now I am especially greatful for mine. Your Tendergreen Mustard-Spinach looks delicious. I can try it next spring. Nothing grows here in the heart of the winter.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

We just planted our brussel sprout, savoy cabbabe, collard, and spigarelli brocolloseedlings last weekend. I have leeks interplanted with all the cabbage crops. This usually works for us to keep the little white moths and their associated cabbage loopers away from the plants. We'll be covering the garden bed frame with a combination of 6ml plastic sheeting and fleece row cover for the winter when the temps drop to freezing later in the year.

I think our coastal communities produce most of the nation's brussel sprouts. The fog keeps them cool enough in the summer and the ocean keeps them warm enough in the winter. I agree that most folks who say they don't like brussel sprouts have probably only had them overcooked. I don't like them that way either.
I usually prepare mine Udipi style, with garam masala, curry leaves, nutmeg and coconut. We serve this at holidays. So far every "die hard brussel sprout hater" that has come to dinner has asked for seconds when we prepare them this way.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hummmm... GM, maybe we should trade recipes. I have trouble getting curry leaves ( have to drive 100 miles to get them), but it would probably taste pretty good without them. What does Udipi style mean? Most people like mine too, but frankly, I don't usually serve them to company. I also have a good recipe for Marinated Brussels Sprouts that comes from the old La Louisianne Restaurant in New Orleans. It is good too.
Shall we post them on the recipes page?

There's a recipes page on the Garden Forums? Where?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/place/f/recipes/all/

Home talk tab - cooking and entertaining.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I agree that brussel sprouts can be tasty, but if not properly grown, harvested, and cooked, they can be sickening.

My broccoli [Triathlon, mostly] plus a little bit of Arcadia and Goliath have all been extra excellent this fall. I started them in mid June and NO, they were not too early this year. In fact this year I may not get many side shoots with the way the cold has been.

My Snow Crown cauliflower was super and the later Apex is pretty good too. Cauliflower is something to make more than one sowing to spread the harvest out....if like me. you are not too fond of frozen brassica.

Thanks for the link. I haven't spent very much time on the home tab. I'll post my recipes there.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Interesting year, summer was hot and dry but no records, Now the northern winds are a blowing, and this is the earliest cold wave since I have been here. Very close (waiting for the official numbers) to the coldest temps for this date.

White Cloud cauliflower is trucking along, however

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely cauliflower, Farmerdill. I didn't grow any this year, but I have had luck with it in the past. So many seeds, so little time. Still DH and I had all the fresh veggies we could eat and our friends and neighbors got a good share as well. And I have a garage full of squash for the winter.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I put my Brussels Sprouts Recipes on the Recipe Forum.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/664658/

I would love to have yours if you have a favorite.

I'll post my recipe to the same thread by this weekend.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

GM
I will be looking forward to seeing it. I really like Indian food.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2006 8:39 AM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

And the Top Bunch collards getiing ready for the New Years repast of collards and cowpeas.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Sumrall, MS(Zone 8a)

I have collards and mustard greens that were doing good except for some holes on the leafs, until I'd noticed yesterday morning, how the collards bottom leaves has turned a darkish brown with a little reddish color and my mustards bottom leaf has turned a yellow color with a litte red. This morning its getting worse. And also, I'd noticed before then that their growth has slowed down alot, mainly collards. Do anybody have any idea how I can correct this problem. I was wondering too could the heat, some insect disease, or maybe over fertilizing have caused this?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Ther are lots of diseases of Brassicas. Fortunately, I only have trouble with Phytophthora and southern blight. They don't match your symptoms. The older leaves on both mustard and collards will yellow as they age, being replaced by new growth higher on the plant. Hopefully that's all you have happening. Photo shows effect of Southern Blight on a Blue Max collard. The fungus girds the stem at the soil line.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Sumrall, MS(Zone 8a)

Okay farmerdill, my mustards may be okay. I'm not sure about my 'Georgia Blue Stem' collards. The bottom leaves has more of the color of your stem on your collards pic.. I know maybe the stems surpose to be that color but do the older leaves? I will say that the foliage overall texture is good though. No wilting or such as of yet, hopefully never. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.