Kohlrabi anyone?

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I sowed kohlrabi, snap peas, lettuce and radishes, but did not write down the date - such sloppiness. Anyway, I have harvested 4 radishes (!!!!), but the kohlrabi don't look like they want to "rabi" at all. They have gotten enough water, I am sure.

Does anyone in my zone - 7a - grow them? Am I too impatient, perhaps?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Most likely, kohlrabi is about as easy to grow as a turnip, but they do take considerably longer to mature. They should be ready, about the same time as your snap peas.

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, Farmerdill - I'll e patient then. thanks for getting back so quickly.

Missouri City, TX

I have about a 7' row of kohIrabi planted about Labor Day. All up about 10-12" now.
The spring planting mostly went to the bugs and snails - harvested 3 from a 10' row.

Organic sacrifices a bit, but I think it's worth it.

Radishes started to bolt, but we thinned and used the leaves in a mixed green steamed dish - mustard, lamb's quarter, basil, cilantro, parsley, leaf lettuce - great!

Hope I'm confusing the "critters" with a mix of plants.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Bubba,
I'm in Zone 9a, too, near Hobby Airport. You growing any tomatoes next season? If so, please let me know what your planting schedule is. I'm a newbie to the veggie gardening, so I need help. Thanks!

Linda

Missouri City, TX

Gymgirl,
As my handle says, I'm in Missouri City - just off SH6.
Debbie have me a couple of black prince and green zebra plants mid-summer. I transplanted them - huge now and starting to have flowers. Some stems broke off when I finally tied them up - took up too much room on the ground. Stick the pieces in pots - all survived. Gave one to my business partner - three left.

If you are using some potting method, you should have no problems. If you try to plant in the native soil, there may be some issues. The main problem I had was the amount of clay. Ground was like concrete if not watered, and even then, would not remain crumbly at all. I only use a 10x20' area, but have amended with many bags of grass clippings, 400-500# top soil and same amount of sand, and 2 full bales of peat moss. This is the third year and things are much nicer now. Also, added 7 years of liveoak leaves. Finally radishes can actually grow down - harvested a couple last week - over 6" long. Previous years, only the round ones would work, and that was not a sure thing.

Best thing I did was grow a winter garden last year. Fun to have fresh greens for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Now I'm hooked. Was hard to wait until September to begin plowing and planting again.

Oops, stole the thread - sorry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.