Zone 9 plants in 8b?

Federal Way, WA(Zone 8b)

I have some freesia and some sparaxis, both of which are hardy only to 9a. However, I also have this spot that's rather different from the rest of my yard that I was considering using as a bed for these bulbs. It's under cover of the porch, with a skylight and drip irrigation. It's surrounded by concrete on all sides, This past summer I planted some indoor plants in it, most of which are still thriving. I have Rex Begonia doing well here, and it's been a very happy place for my coleus.

What do you think? Can I plant my freesia and sparaxis in here and get away with it?

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I bet you could! I managed to keep tomato and pepper plants alive in the early spring in a similiar situation. Freesia is not terribly expensive, so if it gets zapped, you're not out too much.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Recently I've noticed the same plant grown in gravel soil, with less summer water is hardier to cold. I've known that many plants are hardy here but when it rains and freezes, we lose them. I bet if you use gravel mixed with some soil in a raised bed, you'll have much more success. The recent comments on overwintering Cannas is a good example.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.