Milkweed - Aslcepias?

Ottawa Lake, MI(Zone 6a)

Hello,

I am looking for seeds of various kinds of milkweed... does any one have access to any of the following:

Heartleaf Milkweed (Asclepias cordifolia)
Pallid Milkweed (Asclepias cryptoceras)
Mexican Whorled Milkweed (Asclepias fascicularis)
Horsetail Milkweed (Asclepias subverticillata)

Thanks much!
God bless,
Jeff

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Jeff -

What a coincidence that I should check into this thread today - I have literally just harvested Asclepias curassavica today- Royal Horticultural Society encyclopedia of plants describes it as: evergreen sub-shrub, often grown as an annual with upright branches. Red or orange-red flowers, with orange-yellow hoods. 1m/3ft ht, 60cm/24" w. Hardy to 7C/45F.

I would say that is about accurate to what they have shown in my garden (E. Sussex, England).

If you are interested, I would love to send some over.

I planted them in amongst Carex Buchanii, and Echinacea Painter's Palatte, backed by a lovely tall Pampas Grass - and it worked very well. Really seemed to lift the planting. Will definately grow them again next year.

Send me a dmail if you would like some seed. Laurie

Woodinville, WA(Zone 7a)

http://www.prairiemoon.com/store/template/display_by_search.php?SID=2ac53652b02b2fe6204900fd942d1363 prairiemoon nursery carries a dozen species of aslepias.

If you're looking for trades, you might go to gardenweb.com. I have found milkweed collectors there, and this time of year they will have plenty of fresh seed.

I usually search people's plant list rather than seed list. If they have the plant(s) it's a simple matter to gather some seeds for you. I have found that many of the largest seed lists are those of hoarders and the seeds aren't fresh for the fall.

Good luck and enjoy the monarchs.

apologies, Firevicar - it sounds like I may have stepped on toes by offering to send seeds from England. I will desist.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

?

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Laurie,

I don't think you stepped on any toes. You are being generous. Jim was just offering another web site as an alternative. GW is a little easier to find a particular person with a particular plant since you can search member plant lists. They seem to be updated more on that site than this one. IMO

In fact, I just responded to someone who may have some milkweed seeds for me. Otherwise, I'd be hitting you up for some seeds myself! :)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hello Hello85, Jeff, are you interested in asceplias incarnata? I have seeds of those I would be happy to send. God Bless you too. Joann

Thanks, jburesh - (sorry just hit post before I finished the message). Thanks, jburesh - reading FV message directly after mine, made me aware that I hadn't read any trade guidelines for the site and thought I might have overstepped.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2006 6:27 AM

Ottawa Lake, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi Laurie,

I agree with jburesh... you didn't step on any toes, and I really appreciate your offer!

God bless,
Jeff

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.