Newbie woodworker questions

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Now that gardening season is over, I'd like to start doing some woodworking, which I've always wanted to do. And now I have a house with a garage and basement, so I have the room.

But I'm nearly a complete newbie at this. I've knocked together some simple bookcases, done some furniture painting, put together simple furniture kits, but I want to get into the hard stuff! I have a hammer, a couple rubber mallets, some screwdrivers, and somewhere I might have a drill. I also have a Home Depot a mile to one side of me, and a Lowes a mile or two to the other side.

So my questions are: what tools/equipment should I buy first, as basic beginner's stuff? I can see where I may put some real money into this down the road, but I can't do it all at once. And what are some good beginner's projects?

Thanks for any help.

This thread has 40 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!