Does anyone know about Quince? The tree?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

We have a tree we can't ID. I think it is a Quince. Anyone know of any good links to find out what a Quince tree looks like?

carol

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Have you tried Plant Files? If the one you want isn't in there, I've found searching on Google images will usually pull up pics unless it's something really rare.

Marianna, FL

Carol,
Quince is not tropical. It is used as a dwarfing rootstock for pear. I have some. How could I help you ?

Sugarcane52

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I know of theam as a kid my Dad have a few trees

It would be unusual to find a Quince tree there but nothing is impossible :)

Marianna, FL

That's one point that I had hoped to imply in my earlier post--it would be extremely unlikely to have a fruiting quince tree in Hawaii. Flowering quince MIGHT be more possible but the original post said a quince tree. ....I have some quince trees(or tall suckers--which have fruited before-- from the dwarf pear trees that it is under) which could be easily photographed and posted here ---if anyone is interested. The "trees" (about 6' tall)should be in full leaf now and I haven't been out there to see if there are any fruit on them. But if there are, they could be photographed also......again IF anyone is interested.
Sugarcane52

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I would like to see a picture.

Marianna, FL

I'll try to get a photo tomorrow--too late today. I looked yesterday and there is no fruit set this year-- either from drought or some fireblight disease this Spring. The "trees" are taller than I thought. I'll try for a closeup of the stem and leaves.
Sugarcane52

Marianna, FL

Here is a photo of quince leaves. This is probably what is known as Quince A, which is used to dwarf the size of pear trees.

Thumbnail by Sugarcane52
Marianna, FL

Here is a photo of the same quince bush or tree. Note that fireblight disease was bad this year and there is no fruit. It has fruited in years past.

Thumbnail by Sugarcane52

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.