How long do I need to age wood chips?

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a nice big pile of chipped Bradford pear (lol) and they have just been sitting there in the sun, never turned or anything.

How long before they are ready to use as a mulch?

Should I be turning the pile?

Peoria, IL

They are ready to use as mulch anytime.

Thanks, Joe. I knew about the sawdust issue w/nitrogen, but didn't know about woodchips.

Robert.

Citra, FL

From what I understand, you can even use sawdust right away AS MULCH. The difference is, if you incorporate it into the soil, then you can have an issue of nitrogen depletion. Piling it on top of the surface doesnt have the same effect. At least thats how I understand it.

Oh, OK . I see what you're saying. That makes it clearer, what is going on with the breakdown process in the soil rather than above it with minimal soil interaction.

Thanks.

Robert.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I use wood chips and sawdust always as a soil builder in my large soil manufacturing for the new beds. I combine it with Manure (horse, and cow) 4 pts wood to 1 part manure and add other materials to make the soil active. This I let sit for a season or two to cook into rich and well structured soil. then I plant into it. This is usually 10 to 24" deep and blended into the sub soil (native top soil). Clay and loam. It works well for me.

Thanks for the tip, sofer.

I'll be using my 1x1" or larger coarse chips as mulch. Too large to goi into the soil except for special needs.

R.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I like the larger pieces in my soil cause those large pieces hold water for a long time and feed the soil structure for a long time. I always top mulch with bark cause I like the homogenious look of the same mulch color and shape. We have long drought times here in Montana and no rain from mid July till end of Sept. So when I have a well failure like I did this summer I can depend on soil moisture retention for my needy plants to feed for over a month on the last soaking. My garden survived quite well with temps in the 90's and relative humidity of 5 to 8 % and no water for almost 2 months. I lost a few leaves and reduced growth but no plant loss in this disaster of well failure.

sofer~

So you just mix in your big chips (what approx. %-age?) evenly through the bed?

I have only use the larger chips in large pots 20" or large, to help with drainage especially towards the bottom of the container.

Robert.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I always mix what I have with what I have. Then I add what I need to make what I want. Does that clear it up? LOL I like to use about 30% wood product with 10 to 20 % manure and 10% compost and the rest native soil (sandy loam/clay) and clay mixed. I like clay cause of the available micros in it. I also let this cook and soak and mix over winter

I *do* know that way of mixing up a soil! I do the same sorth of thing when I make up small batches for potting up one thing or another--and I go mostly by look and feel.

That's for at least giving a ball-park accounting--sounds good to me.

Robert.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.