Anyone Know What These Guys Are?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

When I walked by my Confederate Rose hedge I thought they were ladybugs .. didn't look very hard. When I passed by again I got closer! Who are these guys and do I want them?

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is the other kind

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I know who these guys are .. they are whiteflies with babies and a few aphids I think

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

The first are larvae of ladybeetles, give me a sec and I can tell you which one. The second is the pupa case of a ladybug. You're right on with the last one....

I wish we had spell check!

This message was edited Oct 21, 2006 8:37 PM

Harmonia ladybeetle....Great photos, BTW. Really great. (What camera were you using, please - I am in the market for one.)

This message was edited Oct 21, 2006 8:40 PM

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I can't tell dipsy-doodle about any of the nymphs! With some exception, to sometimes being able to distinguish between, say .. a grasshopper and lady bug. .. Hee ..

I just discovered that some of the 'search' problems in DG's BugFiles, isn't isolated. It happens on the BugGuide.net site also. CJ, I'd just entered your ID ('Harmonia ladybeetle'), and there were no results. But, when enterting Harmonia 'lady beetle' (as two separate words) - there was no problem; the bug results came up. Hopin' that the DG BugFiles' folks can get the lil kinks ironed out soon ..

Some wonderful shots, Xeramtheum!
Hope you'll be adding 'em to the BugFiles ...

- Magpye

Harmonia translates to multicolored Asian lady beetle - an import. Technically the babies are called larvae since they go through complete metamorphosis. Unfortunately, many people don't recognize the larvae of the lady beetle and exterminate them. A shame, since they are voracious eaters of aphids, scale, white flies and mealy bugs. And the larvae don't fly away.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks .. its a canon cybershot DSC-H5. I love it .. does great macro.

If you want to see what this camera can really do go here!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/662061/

X

This message was edited Oct 22, 2006 8:10 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.