Calling all "bug" lovers - Insectipedia is here!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

If you're handy with entomology etymology, this is a new (and still pretty empty) resource that could really use your help! If you're not yet conversant in bug lingo, but you're willing to learn, climb aboard! I'm looking for lots of help in this area - there's already one person who has gamely stepped up to help, but there's room for plenty more.

Insectipdea is located under the Glossary tab, and here's a shortcut link: http://davesgarden.com/bf/insectipedia/

When you add a new item, keep in mind the following pointers:

1) Only scientific names: order, family, genus or species are included - not common names, (as interesting as they may be.)

2) Each word gets its own entry (genus and specific epithets should be added separately)

3) For each entry, you'll fill in at least three blanks:

- the name (order, family, genus or species) goes in the first field
- a brief description of its derivation in the second field (there's an alternate field in case there are two, differing meanings for the word)
- your best "stab" at pronunciation in the correct field (there's a second pronunciation field in case there are two ways to pronounce the name.)

4) Once you submit it, it'll go in a queue where I'll review and release it ASAP. Please note that I may edit your definition or pronunciation (formatting especially) to keep everything standardized.

You can browse through the alphabetical links to get an idea of how to proceed with each name. And if you're afraid you'll mess up - PLEASE don't worry about that. Any mistakes will be taken care of prior to releasing your submission; if I have any questions, I'll contact you privately.

And if you like keeping track of your progress, I bet we can talk Dave into adding an Insectipedia tracker on everyone's member page, so you can keep tabs on how many names you add to this new feature ;o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images