Wood Sources

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi everybody. Relatively new here. Another wood working grandma.

I guess I have a question first - are we able to mention specific company names on this site or is that a no-no? I couldn't find any written rules about that.

I'm interested in finding out what your sources are for wood (if we are able to mention names) for craft-type woodworking. Do you buy from big box stores, specialty woodworking companies, local lumber companies? Shipping can certainly get expensive if you have to order wood and have it shipped to you.

I am very fortunate in that my brother built his own portable saw mill and he supplies me with all I can use of oak (red & white), walnut, basswood, ash, hickory, maple (including spalted maple). I have a planer so can make boards to my own specifications. However, things like redheart, cocobolo, yellowheart, cedar, etc. I have to order. I do mostly intarsia and some fretwork, so a little wood goes a long way.

Thanks for any information you can give me. I'm located in Wisconsin if that helps any.

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!