Advice on Moonflowers

Aulander, NC(Zone 7a)

Recently a friend gave me some seed pods from Moonflower vine. Was wondering if anyone has had experience with this plant and could offer some advice on planting? I looked it up and it is supposed to be hardy only to zone 8 or 9 but my friend has had no trouble keeping it alive here in zone 7?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I've grown them for years and can't imagine a year w/out them. (I also sell quite a few of them each year at the market...customers would bless me out if I didn't offer them each year!)

We've never had them survive the Winter and just grow them as annuals. Sometimes the seeds they drop might germinate the following year but because the seed coat is extremely hard they won't germinate untill very late into the summer, not allowing the vines to get as big as they could if you started seeds out earlier in pots.

Which part of zone 7 is your friend at that keeps them alive all winter? Down near the coast maybe where it might be a bit warmer than us?

Shoe

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

This is the first year that I have grown moonflowers. I started them without nicking the seed coat (did not know) and they came up very quickly - in a matter of maybe two weeks. I planted them in slightly amended soil (a little compost, a little peat humus from the store). I mulched three of them and the fourth I planted into a gallon pot(!) which I then set into the ground. I don't remember fertilizing them, but I watered them about once a week.
This vines were a real adventure for me. I could never actually see a flower open, even though I stood patiently in front of them with my camera. But after a while they were all open. With my four vines I sometimes had over 50 flowers, it was wonderful.

I would say, you should start those seeds in the spring, then plant them out when it is warm, maybe tomato time? Plant somewhere where there is a lot of space and support for them to climb. I have had two that grew under the porch and then up (maybe 2 feet between ground and crack in boards) between the boards. Also, they grew up between some boards in the ceiling over the porch. They provided a good amount of shade for the porch.

Good luck, you'll love them.

Shoe, you posted a picture of yours some time ago, can you find it again for carolinablue to see? I don't know how to post pictures yet, and I do have some good ones.

I also believe there is a moonflower thread somewhere.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Clementine, is this the pic you were thinking of?

It sounds like yours really did well, too! They sure are great climbers, eh?

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, Shoe, that was the picture, mine are still trying to bloom, but the flowers are a little smaller now, poor things. It was a great adventure and a great conversation piece as ell for visitors. I think some of the "branches" must have gotten well more than 20 feet long ( I am not good at guessing).

Aulander, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks again for all the great advice. The picture gave me an inspiration for next season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.