Astilbe ... just delivered and ...

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

I have never grown this plant. I put it in the ground, mulch it for winter?? Shade, right? totally forgot that I bought these. Dutch Garden sale, my ticket says. ooo, well, okay. Little Henry also came in the box, a rose. I know what to do with that one.

I know i can read the planting directions, but so much better and more fun to learn from you all.

Thanks.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I picked up some half-dead looking astilbe from Home Depot two years ago about this time of year. I stuck them in a shady spot and they did great the next year. They did not do so hot this year...I think I did not give them enough water during my spring dry spell. They seem to like moist soil.

- Brent

This message was edited Oct 19, 2006 7:42 AM

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

thanks, brent. i guess i had a plan; forgot to right it down. oopsy. :) I'll water and plant 'em.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

pegdog, I'm not sure about your cultivar; but they'll usually bloom best with at least some, if not full sun. As long as they stay moist (mine are in clay, for the most part) they are fine in full sun. Mine usually burn by August but the flowers on the shaded ones don't even compare to the full sun ones in my garden.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I have many, many astilbe in my mostly shady yard. Some cultivars might appreciate full sun more than others, but I've never experienced anything but spectacular blooms on all of mine in the shade. I'll agree with all the comments you've already gotten about their water requirements. Don't let them dry out for too long if you want the foliage to be nice all season. Astilbe's are definitely one of my favorites. Plant them in groups of 3 or more for the best impact.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

All great advice. I have 3 "white" and 3 "red" and I have no idea what cultivar. I'll have to find that out.

mickgene, you aren't too far from me. good to know astilbe do well in clay! That's what i have too. except in my new lasagna bed.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

It's a challenge! But my astilbes actually like it better than the drier forest soil on the periphery of the cleared areas.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

OK, I have Diamond and Fanal astilbe from Dutch Gardens. I guess I'll mix up the topsoil, peat and vermiculite and do some plantin'. :)

hey mickgene, do you frequent the vineyard out your way?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Sure do. All of them but Oasis, whose wines I'm not fond of. We have a few new ones that are really good, but still none that tops Linden, IMHO.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

OH, I sooooooooo agree with you. I don't like Oasis and they're expensive! Linden is good: Naked, right? And, Horton is okay. I am a CA gal by native status so it's tough to beat Napa.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

pegdog, you have d-mail.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

got it, back at ya soon.

By the way, the astilbes just look like dirt in a bag. Is there a time factor on planting them? Like bulbs, you can wait for every it feels...

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Sounds like you bought bare root plants that were meant to be sold last spring? If that's the case, I'd pot them up and grow them inside this winter, in a bright cool spot, so they don't grow too fast, and then plant them out in late March or early April. If they have no root structure already going for them, they probably wouldn't make it outside. I don't know if thay could stay dormant until spring in that state or not. Maybe somebody else does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.