Writing Spider, Scribbler, Black and Yellow Argiope, Charlotte's Web Spider (

Roanoke, VA

Thumbnail by shamarzipan
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

This is a great picture, but in the interest of accuracy, the spider in the book Charlotte's Web is not this species. In the book, Charlotte introduces herself as "A. cavaticus", or Araneus cavaticus, a Barn spider. Not nearly as pretty as this spider, but very common in the part of Maine where the book was written, and where the story takes place.

Houston, TX

I just found a spider like this one while weeding. HOw do I move it out of my way without harming it or scaring the heck outta me? It is comepletely in my way,( or me in hers)

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

If disturbed these spiders usually retreat to an upper leaf or stem near the top of their webs. I have hundreds of these in my garden every year and there are always some that are in the way :)

I once came back in the house with one of these inside my shirt.. amazingly I didn't panic and took off the shirt and got the spider in a paper cup and put it back outside.

Here's a group of argiope spiderlings I photographed a few days ago.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Houston, TX

Okay, so I'll weed gingerly around her! Thanks!

Alabaster, AL

Hi, my son has been feeding these spiders. :) we have some amazing pictures and some questions. it appears like more than one female has made an eggsac? do different females come to the same web? one right after the other? do they die after they make their eggsac? what do the males look like? i have been searching the internet but have not found the answers to these questions. How long before the egg "hatches"? thank you so much for your help! Blessings, jeninal

Junction City, WI

When we first moved into our piece of land, we found a garden buried in weeds. So I proceeded to clear out the weeds, making pathways and digging out the mini-trees that were developing from thistle and amaranth. One day I came out to find one of these spiders had built the most beautiful web across one of my new paths. She was huge. About 6 inches (including legs). When I came close, she came off of her web and ran towards me. I ran too...away. I let that web stay there the rest of the summer and had one bed of the most beautiful weeds around.

Every year she moved her web and then one year she did not show up and has not since. I tried to find out what this orb weaver was capable of other than striking fear into my heart, but in general I only found out that they were a good garden spider. The color on the back of my spider was a more fluorescent green than yelllow. Her web was about 3 to 4 feet across.

Fayetteville, NY(Zone 5a)

Can someone please tell me what kind of spider this is? It seemed to be stitching its web together. I thought it looked similar to the first one posted, but the coloring is different. Thanks!

Thumbnail by NStewart10
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Still an argiope (Argiope aurantia) - the coloration will be slightly different in individuals. The zig zag in the middle of the web is characteristic of these spiders.

Zephyrhills, FL

I think the one sown in your picture, N. Stewart is just a younger spider. I would never harm one of these spiders, but I dread walking into a web, especially at night. That species is common in Florida too. I think the male, which is much smaller usually has a web near the big girl.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.