Anemones in New England....here's what worked for me.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

I was reading some of the other threads where folks were asking how to grow anemones in NE...I am NO expert, but I can tell you what I have done the last 2 years...
First I soaked the anemones (Coronaria type - singles and doubles) in water for 24 hours, then planted them in moist potting soil in small pots (5" square and about 5"high) 5 to a pot - placed like the 5 dots on dice. This was late Feb/ early March I think...They sprouted under lights in a cool bedroom. The first year I waited until after last frost date to plant out. The second year, I planted out as soon as ground could be worked - a couple from the year before came back! They bloomed like maniacs and were lovely until it got too hot and they died back. Now, I have a bunch coming back in the cool weather, but I see no buds. I don't know if they will overwinter or not, but it will be an interesting experiment for me. I don't mind buying a bunch for next spring. I suppose you could just soak and plant out when the ground is workable and not bother with trying to get them in the green before planting out. Will have to try that this year. Here is the earliest garden shot this year that shows the anemones...it is April 29th, you can see how short the lilies are. The daffs were up and going at it at this point

Thumbnail by esw
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

This is late May...buds!

Thumbnail by esw
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Here is early June, shot down along the 'row' that I planted around the lily bed as a border...lots of great colors/shapes of the anemones. I just love how they turned out....totally makes up for the bit of a bare spot in later summer. Will have to come up with a good idea to interplant here.

Thumbnail by esw
Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the tips. This gives me hope for planting anemones this spring.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

I have a whole bunch coming up again in this cool weather....don't know if they will survive or not. I guess the cool weather revived them. I think I will dig some up and keep them protected to see if they will progress to bloom. I expect they will freeze when it gets really cold.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.