Bringing gazania indoors?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I bought a gazania and planted it in the garden this fall. Now the weather has dipped down to freezing. Can I dig it up again and bring it inside? Will it last? Can I plant it outside again next spring? It's such a pretty little flower. I hate to think that I was only able to enjoy it for a couple weeks. But do annuals die regardless, inside or out?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Annuals don't die if the temps remain high for them-in Hawaii many annuals last throughout the year. I would think though that gazanias might be tricky to keep alive inside-it would be hard to recreate the type of environment that they like-very hot and sunny and dry.

Tuckahoe, NY

Hi,
Gazanias are perennial in their native South Africa, and some varieties (generally w/ yellow flowers) can survive quite bitter cold in dry winter areas like what you would have in CO. Check out the Denver BG to see what they grow in their rock garden to see those types (eg Gazania linearis and possibly others).
The hybrids commonly grown from seed tolerate some frost,but probably not what you have in Colorado. You can lift your favorite colors and keep them over winter in very sunny windows or under lights, but you have to watch for bugs (spider mites and aphids) and sometimes powdery mildew. You may also take cuttings which root readily and keep them over winter. I've done both for varieties I like, such as the green centered "Christopher Lloyd' sold by Logee's and I have been successful, but I have also had failures --usually due to bugs or forgetting to water once too often--they will not tolerate going bone dry for long in pots.
As for temps, I would recommend on the cooler side, the hybrid gazanias trace their ancestry to G. krebsiana and others from the Cape region of S Africa. There I have seen brilliant orange wild ones in full bloom during late winter and spring, which is much like California's winters, cool/cold nights (mostly 40's/50's F but not frosty in most locals) moderately warm days (70s or a bit higher), and occasional rains. Summers are hot and dry, and the gazanias slow down along with most other plants.
I've also observed gazanias as naturalized escapes in southern California.
Good luck,
Ernie

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Wow! Thanks for all of the information. About all I knew about gazania is that they have pretty flowers. That's about where I stand as a gardener.

If I kept it outside, could it survive if I mulch it well with crumbled leaves?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I second the bug warning. I had gazanias and gerberas in the house last winter and they had aphids and whiteflies. This year they are going in the garage next to the window so they won't freeze but won't infest the rest of the houseplants either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.