Schooling show, halter class question

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I've offered up Chewie for a halter class to a 10 year-old that's been riding him every other week or so. The girl is 10, and has only ridden about 6 times, so is in no state to ride even a PeeWee walk/trot class. Chewie's just not patient enough to let her ride without me nearby (He usually looks at me, and just follows my cues, babysitting her).

There's a schooling Halter/Western/English show coming to a nearby town, and I'm planning on showing Chewie in 3+YO Gelding halter, and three w/t/c Hunter classes. The girl will not be riding, but I have offered to her dad (who I work with) that if they'd like, she can show him in the PeeWee (10 & under) halter class (it says on the show bill "adults may assist").

Show rules say chaps & hunt coats not required, helmets mandatory for youth riders & all hunter classes. Past that, it's pretty vague. I went last year to the same show, and saw everything from upper-class HuntSeat apparel to maroon breeches & a polo shirt. I told her dad she could probably wear a white polo shirt, khaki dress pants, and black paddock boots, and be good enough. Was that a good statement? At this time, they do not own any of those things, and I didn't think it was mandatory that the child wear breeches or jodhpurs just to have Chewie in-hand.

What do you guys think?

edit to add: I'm going to have his mane braided, and intend on showing him in a bridle for halter, and because of how he moves, I think the only way to give him (and her) a shot at doing well, I'd like him to also show "English halter" for her (in the bridle rather than going in jeans, western shirt, cowboy boots, and put Chewie in some flashy halter that wouldn't suit his movement)

This message was edited Oct 16, 2006 11:19 AM

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!