Advice for evergreen draughttolernt small scrubs needed

Brier, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi, everybody,
Just found your forum doing research on what to plant in one area of my frontyard. I can see many knowlegable people here that i am happy to meet.

I have a big "handmade" dry stream in my front yard going parallel to the fence, between fence and stream there is a narrow flower bed. I want to replace these flowers with small bushes that i don't need to water too often (not convinient space to drag a hose).
I live in zone 8a and my frontyard is facing east, so it's sunny area. Will appreciate any ideas.

Anybody are there from Lynnwood or Brier WA?

Newcomer from Brier

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Hi there, and welcome! I live southeast of you (east of Bellevue), and technically not in your area.
However, I am in zone 7, & have had success pushing it to zone 8 with many plants.

As far as shrubs are concerned, it looks like these are the requirements:
evergreen, does not require lots of water, and "small".

OK - define small: Under 4'? Under 2'?
Define "narrow": (spreading distance for Shrubs)
Should they flower or have berries?
And finally, how's the soil there? Fast drainage vs slow, nice soil vs junk soil, etc....

I have many shrubs under 4', but their water requirements differ. Will you be willing to water them well until they are established? Usually 1 yr or so...It makes all the difference!
Let me know - Katye

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Here's a few suggested evergreen shrubs for your garden:

Choisya ternata
Choisya ternata 'Sundance'
Choisya x 'Aztec Pearl'
Ceanothus (most)
Ceanothus gloriosus, griseus, etc
Lavendula (Lavender)
Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary)
Fremontodendron californicum 'California Glory'
Clerodendron
Cistus
Buddleja (I like the variegated one)
Lavatera
Arbutus unedo (inc. compacta)
Romneya coulteri

I guess I could go on and on but I'll let you digest this first.

Thumbnail by growin
Brier, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Katye and growin.

I will try to digest growin's list this week and see what i can find in local nursery. growin, what shrub is on your image?

Katye, i have good drainage with clay soil that i was improving with compost last three years in that area and i am planning to add a little bit more compost when i'll do planting. Sure, i'll be watering first year. I am looking for some shrub that is looking good whole year, does not spread more then 2' in width (my bed is 2' wide and 6' long, i am planning to plant two or more shrubs there), can be between 2' and 4' in height, can have flowers or (and) berries if they don't need to be deadheaded or harvested manually. Unfortunately, i don't have much time for my frontyard, so i am planning to replace everything that require my extra attention to look good whole year.

thanks again
I enjoy reading on your forum

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi brierGardener,

The pic is Romneya coulteri which likes it dry, excellent drainage and lots of sun. It's a shrubby perennial from California but it spreads.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Good choices, there, Growin, I have several you listed and they grow under fir trees which is very drought like.

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

All of the heather varieties seem to fit your criteria too. You might also try mixing in some of the sedges/grasses with your shrub plantings which look nice next to dry creek settings and can provide year round color, texture and little maintenance. These are all growing in full sun.

Thumbnail by galega
Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

galega - wow. Lovely planting.

Thanks! I just like that it's also maintenance free.

Brier, WA(Zone 8a)

galega, what a beatutiful creek! And maintenance free - magic words for me. How often do you water this area during summer?

I like heather, but my only one is getting too leggy and i don't know how to handle it. How old can heather be without needing to replant?

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

brierGardener, how about Hebe's, there are lots of varieties to choose from and they take little care. also thee are lots of evergreens that are low growing that need little care. Jim

BrierGardener - I water only about twice a week. The flame heather shown is bright yellowy chartreuse with orange and dark burgundy in the spring and summer. Now it has faded, but still gives nice fall color. I had white winter blooming heather at my last house that looked fantastic for the 12 years we lived there. I never cut those back, and they still looked great.

I second the vote for Hebe, too. I love this stuff, and the deer don't eat it! Also Thyme and Sage are good for the area you're describing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.