Has any one had this problem with there Gout plant?

Lake Jackson, TX

I bought a beautiful Jatropha Podagrica
(gout ,Bottleplant,buddha Belly plant)
It had a couple of leaves that were turning light green and
I thought
oh well leaves are going to die off anyway.The next day all the leaves on the back
Had this brown stuff like it was traveling down the stems and finely they all died ,the next week It started new leaves and they were looking so good but now the brown stuff is back I have been spraying it with Triple action 20 ..but no luck ..any suggestions..Gingerose

Thumbnail by Gingerose
Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

I grow one but never ran into that problem. Did you know you can bag a leaf or two and send them off to your extension office. They offer a free service and should be able to give you an idea of the type of problem you have.

Lake Jackson, TX

Thanks mgarr..no I didnt know that Ill give it a try altho Ive called the extention agent down here and they will not return your call...Thats why I sent this picture in hopes someone would reconized this brown stuff and could give me a name of something to use ..

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Why not try something like neem. It can be used inside or outside.

Valley Village, CA

I vote for Neem that is what is used at the Huntington, I don't need to wear cloves or a mask. It is safe for you, make sure you spary everything around the plant as well, Or remove that plant from the rest and spray out side and return it. Put up a sticky yellow trap, and spray all the benches as well top and bottom, and don't forget the pot and the top soil. If its a mold you will need to get more air circulation, using a rotating fan. Get it quick or it will attack the rest of the plants. Norma

Lake Jackson, TX

Thanks Norma..I thought Neem was just for Bugs..this looks more like bacterial leaf spot or fungicide..The plant is sitting on the table on my back patio..all by its lonesome self..I bought it from a garden center they had more but they have this stuff on the rest of their Gout plants ..so they quit selling them..and tole me to spray with triple action 20 one teaspoon to a gal ...but it isnt working ,its been over two weeks..I love this plant and do not want to lose it..its 3 yrs old .heres what it looked like when I got it...

Thumbnail by Gingerose
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Looks leaf edema. Maybe a bit overwatered and the leaves absorbed too much. Possibly some fungus or bacterial action as well.

Robert.

Lake Jackson, TX

Raydio..Not overwatered by me I havent watered it yet..I poured some of the TA20 on it
thats all the water it got ..name me a product to use that you think will help ..Im willing to try any thing..heres what my poor plant looks like now...I have bought some Neem oil and sprayed it on there like Norma said..(I trust her judgement) but it just looks awful..heres a picture of it now.

Thumbnail by Gingerose
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

It may not look like much now. Look at all the new growth that are poping out. It looks to me like it will be ok.

Jeri

I looked through the Ball Field Guide to Diseases of Greenhouse Ornamentals, and there were several fungi (Xanthomonas was one of them) that produced marking similar to what is showing on your leaves.

Robert.
PS I read that the leaves will naturally fall "in winter" as the plants enters a natural annual dormancy.
http://www.flowers.org.uk/plants/plantfacts/jatropha_podagrica.htm

This message was edited Oct 21, 2006 1:07 PM

Did you check the Plant Files page for J. podagrica? Lot of talk there.

Found this there: "But, when it opened its first bloom, I brought the plant inside to the shady back porch where we could admire it for a while before moving it back to its "home" outside. Well, within 2 days 7 leaves yellowed and fell off! In only 2 days! I moved it right back outside and it's now doing as well as ever. It doesn't like to be disturbed or moved, it seems, once it's settled in. All in all, a really odd, wierd, and absolutely lovable plant, if a bit persnickety."

This could possibly be affecting your plant, too.

Lake Jackson, TX

Raydio: Yes, it was beautiful when I got it, and your right it does not like to be moved..when I moved it home and on the back patio it lost all its leafs..like last picture
and yes Jerr11 Itdid look like it was getting better.. new leafs ..But now I have some leafs but they are starting to have brown spots on then..I guess Ill just have to wait and see.. Thanks guys for the help

Thumbnail by Gingerose

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.