Autumn Joy Sedums

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I just planted some Autumn joy sedums in my flower bed yesterday (7/25/2001). I really don't know much about them, but have heard they are a perennial, and will begin to bloom late September and into the fall. (I live in zone 7, North Carolina). I would like to know how to care for them, as I'm fairly new to 'gardening'. I used indoor/outdoor garden soil to plant them in the ground, dropped a few osmocote's in, then covered with Cypress mulch, and watered them. (Now ironically it's been raining all night).
I live in a newly developing neighborhood, and all we have around here is that hard, reddish brown clay. I hope my Sedums will be fine, and I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me if I've planted them correctly. Thank you.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

sounds good. I have them all over, and I never amended the soil around them, and they never get fertilized. I get blooms every year. Planting them this late, they might not bloom, mine have already set buds, but it depends on the plant:) Good luck with them, they root easily, even in water.

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Well not much more to add good luck with them
Mike

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

My sedums are set in a bed with lots of red clay. They are just getting bigger and bigger. If a peice breaks off just stick it in the ground and it will start to grow too!!!

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Gerrianium..Autumn Joy Sedum is the fallback when everything else beats the dust..lol. You'll be fine and best wishes for your up and coming garden :)
Trish

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Mine have already bloomed are beautiful right now. Be careful and don't let the snails and slugs get them. They love them. Between my sedum and my lamb's ears, I have some pretty fat snails and slugs. Just kidding. I search for them at night with a flashlight and also put out poison. Otherwise I would have to give up on raising those plants completely. You should be able to search for information on deterring snails and slugs by entering snails or slugs in search. A lot has been written in the threads about the problem.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Sedums are also known as "Live forever." Any part of the plant can be used to start a new plant. Last year, I hung up a stem of Autumn Joy and left it for a couple of months. After it was very dead and dry, little green sprouts appeared at the junctions between leaf and stem and put out roots. I let them get a bit larger and potted them up and they started growing quickly. Unfortunately, my nephew is also growing fast and has the grace of a bull in a china shop, one arm swing and the pot was on the floor. One stumble step and the little plants were totally squashed! LOL, ah, the joys of adolescence!

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:40 AM

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sis, I'm fine - got a nice little patch getting bigger every year. I think I'll try it again, and put the babies in a locked room when that kid comes around! He can't help it, being 11 or 12 and well on his way to 6 foot makes for alot of blundering around - and then there are those FEET! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.