The new ramp!

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Well, we finally did it. We had a concrete ramp built to replace the wooden one we've used for seven years, now. DH thought I was crazy to insist on something free-flowing, and he thought that terra cotta-colored concrete would be too dark. I think it looks great...and it's growing on the rest of the family ;) We've added a short wrought-iron railing to the inside of the ramp to keep us from going into the rose bush but I don't have that on a digital pic, yet.

It's looking more and more like this is the place we will call home until we are called home....
Diane

Thumbnail by mtnmama

Close-up view

Thumbnail by mtnmama

And from the top looking down

Thumbnail by mtnmama
Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Good Job!! The curve and slope are just right and it doesn't even look like a ramp particularly. Very functional. The railing is a nice dressy touch too.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I think that looks great. It will look even better as it ages too I bet. I don't think it would have looked as good if you hadn't taken the terra cotta color down the side of the driveway and around the tree.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

That looks so nice!

We have a ramp in the back (wood) and are saving to put a ramp in the front. I hate that our daughter can't go through her own front door! And it scares me that the only way for her to get out is through the kitchen (the most likely room to catch on fire). I would love to put one in like yours, but i think with the cost of concrete it would be way more than wood. Our house is three feet up because we live near a river and the houses have to be built above flood level. I can't imagine how much concrete it would take, i suppose i could do the math, but i already have a headache tonight...

Very nice looking!

Melissa

Thanks, Everyone!
We've been in this house for eight yrs. now, and gone through multiple wooden ramps to the porch. Melissa, if concrete is too much, maybe you could use that cool new plastic "lumber" stuff (it would last forever, they say)?

We see the next need is an egress from Maggie's bedroom. The kitchen is between her room and any wheelchair exit. We need to start saving for this next project...she's nearly 100 lbs. and we would need to lift her out a window and carry her away from the house if there was a fire. Maggie's 18 now and we plan on willing this house to her trust when we pass (we finally finished all of that legal stuff). She needs a door to exit her room to the outdoors, for safety, when we can no longer lift her. We haven't been very good at planning ahead, until now....
me

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

It really adds to the beauty and the lines of your home. The color and the wrought iron railing are perfect. One would never think of it as a ramp but just a beautiful pathway to the door?

Thanks, TPlant! The longer it's in place, the more I like it. DH is a "convert," too. He's enjoying the color, at last :) The trick-or-treaters enjoyed walking up the path for their goodies, this year...what fun!
Diane

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.