Wintering Plumbago Auriculata

Conyers, GA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone in Zone 7B Metro Atlanta area have Plumbago they leave outside for the winter? Does it die back and rebound OK? I bought one early this year and fell in love with the bright blue flowers. Lowe's sold it as hardy for 7B, but after reading the plant profile on the internet I am not so sure it would make it through a 'real' cold snap. I dug it up and put it in a container about 4 weeks ago to give it time to get adjusted, just in case I have to move it inside.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I live in Dalton (7a) and I have left mine in the ground for the past two winters. Just after the first hard frost or before the first real freeze, I cut it to the ground, water it and cover completely with Humore or Nature's Helper and a good layer of pine straw. Of course our winters have been mild, but I read this winter is going to be mild also.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Dunwoody GA - I have three of them mixed in with some peonies in a fairly protected (behind the house where the wind can't rip it) area in my backyard. It turns brown - like the peonies - and I cut it all back after the first frost. I did not realize it was going to climb around the peonies during the summer and was pleasantly surprised. It looks really pretty.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for asking this question. I have seeds for this and will be growing it out for the first time next spring, and I needed to know what to do with it come winter (optimistic one that I am that I will successfully grow it and need to do something with it a year from now...lol)

~Sunny

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Another 7b here, echoing that I have left my plumbago in the ground in the winter and had no problem with it's return - although it was a mild winter last year.

Conyers, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I think I will leave the plumbago in the container in a sunny but protected location outside for the winter. It is in a container with plenty of room and I will add a thick layer of mulch. Next spring I will transplant it to its hopefully permanent location. Thanks again for your help.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Oldtownegirl - I'd at least sink the pot into the ground for winter protection. You could plant it now and move it in the spring if you've not decided a permanent home for it yet.

My 2 cents. Sterling

Conyers, GA(Zone 7b)

Sterling, I was a little concerned about transplanting it to the garden this late especially since it has been in the container for only a month. It does look very healthy and didn't seem to mind the move to the container at all. Plus I have been giving it extra attention. The permanent home for it is ready. I appreciate your 2 cents worth, and since you have experience with this, I will take your advice and plant it. Thanks for your help.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

In Auburn, AL they do NOT overwinter. They can be dug up and overwintered but mine have frozen and died the last 2 winters and our lowest temperature was about 22-25 F. Plan on digging mine up today as we will get to 32-34 F tonight. Hope this helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.