Reading about genetics/ Book review?/ Jenk's question....

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Jenks had asked me about some breeding mishaps that I had read about in a book called "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin.

Jenks, her emphasis seems to be over-selection for one characteristic and the first one she reviews was the (uh) Rapist Roosters. It was the result of a single-trait breeding plan of a number of different characteristics (one at a time)- first the breeders wanted faster-growing chickens, and bred fast chickens to fast roosters, unfortunately they also ended up with a lot of birds having heart attacks. Then they wanted chickens with larger breasts - more breast meat, right? - and they got chickens with very weak legs and even more MI's. So, instead of starting at the beginning with healthy chickens, they then bred for the healthiest of those. Somewhere in the single trait programs the sequence for the rooster's mating dance was wiped out, so the chickens wouldn't become receptive, and would try to walk away during breeding- so the males would slash and kill them. Nice, huh?

That example is kind of involved, and I've probably over-simplified it, but I think the main point is that we're not always aware of what is connected genetically to the traits we're breeding for. The irritability or aggression of some breeds is not just because they're over-bred, but more because we've unintentionally selected for those behaviors that are linked to other characteristics such as color or small feet or something...

I really was fascinated by this book (although I had a tough time sticking with it at times). I don't agree with her theories on white skin/ blue eyes indicating less stability (although that might be where blonde jokes came from.... hmmm....) - she gives the example of Dalmatians possibly being so hyper as a result of so much white skin - but I own Dalmatians that aren't hyper at all. And the blue eyed thing doesn't play out from what I've been told by blue-eyed horse owners. But there are a lot of other points she makes that are excellent, so all and all I'd highly recommend the book. She made a confirmed mutt lover out of me!

This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!